• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First watercooling build, please review components!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well...hoses are pretty easy, cables on the other hand...you're gonna want a bunch of those stick on cable ties, because MM cases don't have ANY sort of cable managment. Now, I'm not saying it's not possible, it just will take some work (potentially hours depending on how neurotic you are) to get it looking the way you want...can't think of any issues off the top of my head other than that, but I'm really out of it tonight...sooooo...yea.

WOW! Your addicted.....

I'm happy for you! Really am. Looking back from your early posts you been looking at and asking the right questions for more than a few months. I think you'll do fine.

It'll be your first big build, there will be issues like wrong screws, fittings you forgot to buy, putting a fan in backwards, forgetting to lock the GPU fully in the PCI slot. We all do those things in different ways.

Take your time, think it through. It's gonna be a worldly marvel when your done.

And it's a hobby. So treasure each moment as you figure out the stoopid wires, how to mount the pump ohh so perfect. You only do your first watercooled rig the right way once. 3 months later yuo look at the hose routing, see a new fan controller on the market, or a new something.

It's fun and you know you did it right, till the next upgrade. I'n in the same situation...... LOL!!! We all are.

WOW! Your addicted.....

Indeed, I'm afraid I am! I'm actually starting to twitch when I look at WC components! You should see all the data sheets and technical docs I have saved...:comp:

I've become a bit anal retentive, but I'm really excited about the upcoming build, and REALLY appreciate everyone's help. Wanted to be extra sure about the case though, because it has such a major impact on the rest of the build--plus, after this case, I'm not entirely sure I could ever come up with a good enough reason to ever have to buy another--try explaining that one to the wife!!!:chair:

I'll make sure and get a build log going with pictures as the parts come in. Do you guys think I should do the build log here (in this thread) or start a new thread for the build log?

i'd start a new thread with "Build Log" and your project name and what not in the title...helps the search feature out tremendously.

Ok folks

I have ordered most of the fittings (from sidewinder) and reservoir (microcenter) and thermal paste.

My plan is to order the case this week, but before I drop $400+ on this sucker, I'd like to get everybody's input on it and make sure it seems feasible.

I don't anticipate any major issues, as I believe I've though this out pretty carefully, but none-the-less, please give me your thoughts. I'm mainly concerned with layout, cable and hose management, and the ability to make it look neat inside.

In general, I plan to layout as follows:

Three 120.3s on the front panel. PSU on the bottom back panel behind the mobo. Pump mounted to the bottom of the case behind mobo. Reservoir mounted either to a couple of the fan holes on the back panel or on one of the rads on the front. Finally, the HDDs will go in one of the fan holes on the back panel (using MMs HDD mounting bracket that requires the fanhole)

Thank you

Well, the case is on the way! No turning back now, I suppose--I went with the standard brushed aluminum look--from all the MM builds I have seen lately, most are black, so I figured I'd go with something a bit different

It only ran me $415... either way, I'm quite excited about the new build!

Guys, I saw something about this on another thread, but the responses weren't very clear. Is there a preferred or required direction to mount the MCP655 types of pumps? Someone mentioned that a barb should be on the side, or pointing up.

Please just let me know which barbs (inlet or outlet) must point in which directions

Thank you

yea, it prevents bubbles from forming in the pump. it's doable otherwise but not recommended...one of them on top is ideal because it allows bubbles to escape easily.

Hmm, if you go to the main rebadging site at Swiftech, who names them the MCP655, not even the original designation, you can even ....

Tada!

Print out your own recommended sheet for what is good/bad on that pump........................

Internet, full of information and pains like me.............

Hmm, if you go to the main rebadging site at Swiftech, who names them the MCP655, not even the original designation, you can even ....

Tada!

Print out your own recommended sheet for what is good/bad on that pump........................

Internet, full of information and pains like me.............

hehehe. Thanks for the info. Looking at Swiftech's site, they do not explicitly state the preferred mounting position. They do however recommend that the pump be installed on the bottom of the case, and in all of the mounting diagrams they provide, the inlet is parallel to the bottom of the case, and the outlet is pointing vertically.

Also, from what I read, am I correct in saying that I cannot changout the .5" barb fittings for compression fittings on the pump? I have to use hose clamps?

Last edited:
hehehe. Thanks for the info. Looking at Swiftech's site, they do not explicitly state the preferred mounting position. They do however recommend that the pump be installed on the bottom of the case, and in all of the mounting diagrams they provide, the inlet is parallel to the bottom of the case, and the outlet is pointing vertically.

Also, from what I read, am I correct in saying that I cannot changout the .5" barb fittings for compression fittings on the pump? I have to use hose clamps?

you cannot change them on the stock top, you can, however, change out the stock top for an aftermarket top which are all (to my knowledge at least...don't know of any that aren't) g1/4 threaded so you can use whatever fittings you want.

Has anyone ever used this type of drainport? I was thinking about adding it inline to one of my hoses and running it to the bottom of the case.

I'm trying to think about how I am going to drain this thing in the future--if I don't plan now, it's really gonna make me hate to want to service the loop later on...:bang head

most people just use a tline...that looks rather difficult to use since you can't really run tubing off it without replacing their nipple thingie...if it's replaceable

Back