• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First watercooling build, please review components!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mokrunka

Hello Ladies and Gents--this is my first "real" watercooling build. A while back a posted some issues with my pre-fab bigwater setup, and have since gone to air in the meantime and done some extensive research. The rig is in my sig--and the parts I'm going for are listed below, please comment and provide any suggestions!

Case: Mountain Mods Ascension (Triple 120.3 rads in the front)
CPU Waterblock: Swiftech GTZ
GPU Waterblocks: EK-FC470 (2)
Radiators: Triple 120.3 - Either the HWLabs Black Ice GTX Extreme, or the HWLabs SR1 (3)--from Skinnee's site, it seems that the Extreme is better for high fan speeds and the SR1 is better for Medium fans speeds, haven't decided yet if I wan't to put up with loud fans yet (advice?) I have a feeling I'm going to go with the SR1, however.
Pump: Laing D5 (Swiftech MCP655 w/ .5" tubing)
Tubing: Tygon R-3603
Fans: Panaflo or Yate Loon (need advice here, too)
I used the TDP calculator, and came up with about 250W ea for the vids, and went conservative with 275-300W on the CPU

I'd like to do this in a single loop (for simplicity) as follows

Reservoir (not decided on which one yet) -> Pump -> Rad 1 -> CPU -> Rad 2 -> Rad 3 -> GTX470 #1 -> GTX470#2 -> Reservoir

From looking at the Skinnee labs data, it seems that I should be easily able to attain a DT of 5C. Note that I realize this may be a bit of overkill, but I would rather be safe than sorry, and I want room to add an additional GTX470 in the future. I also plan on O/Cing both the CPU and the Vids.

I also need some help with some details of fittings (I really like the compression fittings). Also, is the Laing pump going to be able to handle 3 rads?

Many thanks guys!

PS This will be taking place over the next 2-3 months (have to "strategically" buy the parts when the wife is out of town!!!)

PSS I also saw Conumdrum's build with the (Koolance WBs) 2 x GTX470 pics, which I really like, and would love a parts list for the vid cards!!

Your pump is fine, as is the rest of the stuff. Fittings basics, all of them have G1/4 threads. Go with 1/2" x 3/4" tubing, and size your compressions for it, exact sizes matter with compressions. You will probably need some 45 and 90 degree bitspower rotaries, not sure where or how many, thats up to your build.

My rig has two Koolance waterblocks on my 470's. They look good and others seem to like them. They are a good middle of the pack WB in Skinnees 480 WB roundup. No real parts lists, just WBs, rotaries, and barbs.

The 655 VARIO is the pump you want, you want a different CPU block. Look up Skinnees review of the EK Supreme HF. You should get a great block and worry about flow rates, the HF has great flow rates.

Your pump is fine, as is the rest of the stuff. Fittings basics, all of them have G1/4 threads. Go with 1/2" x 3/4" tubing, and size your compressions for it, exact sizes matter with compressions. You will probably need some 45 and 90 degree bitspower rotaries, not sure where or how many, thats up to your build.

My rig has two Koolance waterblocks on my 470's. They look good and others seem to like them. They are a good middle of the pack WB in Skinnees 480 WB roundup. No real parts lists, just WBs, rotaries, and barbs.

The 655 VARIO is the pump you want, you want a different CPU block. Look up Skinnees review of the EK Supreme HF. You should get a great block and worry about flow rates, the HF has great flow rates.

Looking at the pump on Skinnee now.

As far as the parts list for the vids--I found this youtube video (
) of a guy installing a WB on his GTX470, and I saw things like the SLI bridge, etc, and got a bit worried because I hadn't thought about that--are these sold separately? Also, are you implying that the GTX480 and the GTX470 blocks are the same (e.g they fit both reference layouts)? I did see the Skinnee labs article on the 480 roundup, but did not find any information or data on the GTX470 in there so I ignored it for now.

The SLI bridge comes with your motherboard. The blocks are different on the 470/480. But basic design and how they implement it is the same. You can find reviews of both showing internal shots of pretty much and card, and they are mostly the same except for more VRM cooling areas on the 480s.

I been following Skinnee for a few years and his first post months ago as he prepped to get ready to do the comparison.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250163

The other good WC forum IMHO. Should have it faved too.

not the same, but similar...enough so that the performance of one should be enough to gauge the performance of the other...relatively speaking.

Also, you might wanna look into a better block, that gtz's pretty far back now, full 4C (on skinnee's bench) behind the XT, which has been bested by the EK Supreme HF.

http://skinneelabs.com/i7-blocks-2.html

The EK 480 and 470 blocks are basically the same design, not the same thing. They're not interchangeable. But figuring the 480's run hotter, looking at that block performance is good indicator of their overall gpu block design, regardless of which card it's for. I run three of the 470's and I'm very happy with the performance.

I use these for sli bridges. They work great. You'll only need one for sli and can add another later for tri-sli.

EDIT: I meant this was an sli link between the water blocks.

Last edited:
The SLI bridge comes with your motherboard.

Thanks Conumdrum--I knew that the SLI bridge came with the board--I have that installed on the cards already.

When I looked at the vid on Youtube above, he was installing something else that I didn't recognize, though. I think that it may have been the piece that connects the water blocks on each card, allowing the flow to transfer from one to the other. Along the same lines, is there any particular piece that is better than another for this purpose? I've noticed that some are adjustable, etc

Thanks

ek makes an fc bridge, which just makes things easy with their blocks...for the rest...DD sli fitting or a crystal link kit...there's a bunch to pick from, they're all cheaper than the FC bridge too

Thanks Conumdrum--I knew that the SLI bridge came with the board--I have that installed on the cards already.

When I looked at the vid on Youtube above, he was installing something else that I didn't recognize, though. I think that it may have been the piece that connects the water blocks on each card, allowing the flow to transfer from one to the other. Along the same lines, is there any particular piece that is better than another for this purpose? I've noticed that some are adjustable, etc

Thanks

Ohh, gotcha. I use the one from DD, thier SLI connector. It comes with three tubes, for different lenghts between cards on diff mobos etc.. My cards are in series for water, which is just fine. Used it on my 280 and my 470 cards. Works fine. There is a neat clear one by BP?

So if I'm understanding correctly, with my setup, I'll need six (6) compression fittings 1/2" x 3/4" for my .5" x .75" hose. These would be for the radiator. I will probably also need these two (2) of these (from another Conumdrum post) for my videocards to allow two more compression fittings to fit on my GTX470s to keep them from hitting the PCB.

I have picked out a reservoir here--can you please confirm that two more of the same fittings will work on this res?

That leaves only the fittings for the CPU, and the pump--any advice on which fittings would work for this?

Last edited:
reservior link links to the extender. Alternatively to the extender you can use a 45deg rotary fitting...you may not need them either, you only do for certain blocks (you're referring to the bhk thread correct?) What are the 6 compressions for? You need 2 between your gfx setup (the sli link eliminates the need for 1 fitting on each block), 2 on the cpu...were you putting them on the rad too? If so, 6 is correct, if you want res, then it's 8, no rad fittings then it's 4.

reservior link links to the extender. Alternatively to the extender you can use a 45deg rotary fitting...you may not need them either, you only do for certain blocks (you're referring to the bhk thread correct?) What are the 6 compressions for? You need 2 between your gfx setup (the sli link eliminates the need for 1 fitting on each block), 2 on the cpu...were you putting them on the rad too? If so, 6 is correct, if you want res, then it's 8, no rad fittings then it's 4.

Sorry Mor7, just edited the link before you posted.

To clear up the confusion, here are the fittings I planned for:

3 Rads - Six (6) .5" ID x .75" OD Bitspower comp.
Vid Cards - Two (2) .5" ID x .75" OD Bitspower comp. + two (2) extenders (one for inlet, one for outlet) + SLI Coupler
Reservoir - Two (2) .5"ID x .75" OD Bitspower comp.
CPU - two (2) 45 Degree .5" ID x .75" OD Bitspower comp.

hope that makes more sense?

well...I don't see a thread type on there, but presumably it's just g1/4, if you just order the comps with it (off that dropdown) your retailer will include the right thing.

Your count on the compressions is right :thup:

Also, just noticed your loop order, loop order doesn't matter as long as the res is right before the pump, so don't worry about putting a rad before each block, just run the tubing the shortest/most convenient way you can. water temps equalize within <4c within the loop, so rad placement (in the loop order) doesn't really matter.

Also, just noticed your loop order, loop order doesn't matter as long as the res is right before the pump, so don't worry about putting a rad before each block, just run the tubing the shortest/most convenient way you can. water temps equalize within <4c within the loop, so rad placement (in the loop order) doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the quick reply!

My plan was to run the water from the cpu to the second rad, and then strait to the third rad, and then through both video cards like this:

Reservoir -> Pump -> Rad 1 -> CPU -> Rad 2 -> Rad 3 -> GTX470 #1 -> GTX470#2 -> Reservoir

I'd rather do this if you guys think it will be OK, since it is easier to use the SLI link to connect the two cards rather than pipe to one, then back to the third rad, then back to the second card... thoughts?

like i said, loop order means nothing outside of res>pump, the rest should just be run as is most convenient/uses the least tubing, you could put all 3 rads in series and then all the blocks one after the other and you'd see literally <1c of temp difference from any other configuration...enough so it's probably not noticeable to the sensors you've got.

Ok everyone--for completion's sake, here is the revised parts list, based on everyone's comments, and for other's use as it may help others with picking out parts. (For reference the parts listed below total about $1400)

Case: Mountain Mods Ascension (1)
GPU Waterblock: EK Full Cover Nickel (2)
CPU Waterblock: EK Supreme HF (Full Copper - Full Nickel) (1)
Pump: Laing D5 Vario (MCP655) (1)
Reservoir: DD-RAD-Reservoir (1)
Tubing: Tygon R-3603 .5" ID, .75" OD (Black) (15')
Fans: YATE LOON 120mm D12SH-12 (120mm x 25mm) (11)
Radiators: 120.3 HW Labs SR1 (3)
SLI Fitting to mate the two GTX470s (1)
Thermal Compound - ARCTIC MX-3 (2)
Fittings:
3 Rads - Six (6) .5" ID x .75" OD Bitspower comp.
Vid Cards - Two (2) .5" ID x .75" OD Bitspower comp. + two (2) extenders (one for inlet, one for outlet) + SLI Coupler
Reservoir - Two (2) .5"ID x .75" OD Bitspower comp.
CPU - two (2) 45 Degree .5" ID x .75" OD Bitspower comp.
Molex Power adapters: 4 pin male x 4 x 4-pin female for fans (1)

Reservoir -> Pump -> Rad 1 -> CPU -> Rad 2 -> Rad 3 -> GTX470 #1 -> GTX470#2 -> Reservoir

Appreciate everyone's help--and I'll be sure and keep everyone informed on the progress, and do a build log when the time comes. Note: I will be buying these parts over the next couple months, so bear with me! :clap:

Mok

Last edited:
Something to look into, if there's gold on the inside of that block it's almost the same as having aluminum in your loop (so I've heard). I haven't heard back from anyone as to whether or not there is, but it WILL cause galvanic corrosion if the water touches the gold...if not, you're golden (no pun intended), if there is, spend the extra little bit on the one that's not on sale (ppcs, right?).

You should be able to get this info from EK or PPCs (or vendor of choice, they're all pretty good)...if you could report back on it that'd be sweet too, just so that I know what to recommend going forward :)

Something to look into, if there's gold on the inside of that block it's almost the same as having aluminum in your loop (so I've heard). I haven't heard back from anyone as to whether or not there is, but it WILL cause galvanic corrosion if the water touches the gold...if not, you're golden (no pun intended), if there is, spend the extra little bit on the one that's not on sale (ppcs, right?).

You should be able to get this info from EK or PPCs (or vendor of choice, they're all pretty good)...if you could report back on it that'd be sweet too, just so that I know what to recommend going forward :)

I just put a support ticket in with the manufacturer (EK), so I will let you know what they say.

I also did some browsing through their similar questions, and learned that the name is a bit confusing. They make a "Full Copper, Full Gold" version and a "Full Copper, Full Nickel" version (among others). Both (read: all) of the block's bases are made of electrolytic copper, and then are plated with a thin layer of the second metal, in this case, nickel or gold. That is where the second metal comes in (news to me, maybe not you). Further reading insinuates that the issue would be making sure the metal to metal contact surface does not cause galvanic corrosion (I am assuming they mean to the CPU or GPU, as the case may be). They also mention not to use vinegar or other "rough" materials to clean them, as it may void the warranty.

Here is a great link I discovered on EK's site which allows the user to select the hardware (CPU or GPU) and determine which blocks are compatible with their hardware. After using this tool for both my GPU and CPU, I have determined that I will need the Acetal or Nickel version, (does not list the Gold version) and will update my parts list accordingly. I would recommend using this tool to determine compatibility, it even has the specific manufacturers of the mobo or gpu so you can be sure it will work!

Hope this helps, I sure learned something! Thanks for the catch!

It may be that it's not there because it was a limited edition thing, but more than likely it has gold in contact with the water...if one of you chem wizes who understands that whole galvanic corrosion thing could hop in here and confirm I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill that'd be :thup:

As for the block making process, the only appreciable difference is that one (the copper) will tarnish over time and the other is a fingerprint MAGNET (the nickel). Cooling configurator is great for checking whether or not your PCB is reference too...I've used it a bunch since it came out just a few months ago.

Good luck!

Back