• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wtf is up with test 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peterhoang1988

for the life of me, i just cant get my ram to pass test 8 with no errors. tests 1-7 never shows up errors but test 8 no matter what i do, there are errors. the least amount of errors i can get in test 8 is 10 per pass with the same address failing over and over. of course, ive never had any problems in windows with games running and dvds ripping at the same time.

memory is ocz value vx @ 250mhz 2-3-2-8 3.5v 1T
increasing or lowing volts gives more errors so 3.5 is the sweet spot. cas 2.5 gives even more as well.

oh yea it ran fine at 250mhz 2-2-2-8 3.5v 2T

do you have active cooling on the ram? 3.5v is alot to push without active cooling.

AFAIK, test 8 is like a more intense version of test 5.

better start changing your timings or clocking down on the ram. Your ram aren't stable until you can pass all the tests.

I've usually only had problems with Test 8 too. If 8 is like a more intensive 5, why do people usually opt for 5?

ok im starting over starting wth 200mhz 2-2-2-5 @ 2.8v and going in steadily with 5mhz increments.

this may or may not help you, it did not help godman who has value vx on his ultra-d in fact it caused his pc not to boot it did how ever fix my test 8 problem. I found by manipulating one setting at a time that Trtw had the most effect on test 8 stability i was forced to set Trtw to 4 to get it to pass. Like i said though godman tried this as well and it would not post. Hope this helps.

I get errors in test 8 at 295 with 166 divider (242mhz), but not if i set everything but the four main timings and trf to auto. cpc on 2-2-8-2-15-auto all the way down... no test 8 errors now with auto stuff. it's gotta be one thing that does it.

2-2-8-2? wha...

do u mean 2-2-2-8?

edit: nm you were just going by order it appears in ultra-d bios

Last edited:
:)... it used to confuse me when I saw that in ppl's sigs until I realized. Then I bought the DFI and I was like ahhhhhhh.... i seeeee....

ok something leads me to believe that the extra voltage is making the ram too hot which is the source of all these errors. i already have 2 fans over it so im not sure if theres anything else i can do...

also... i can run this ram at 240mhz 2-2-2-8 1T but only with the 1:1 and it wont work with any other dividers... wtf? all other dividers give errors in test 8... and only test 8.

So even if your divider ends up giving you 240mhz you still get errors? I think mine does the same. When I'm at 250fsb 1:1 I get no errors anywhere. When I'm at 295fsb with 5:6 divider for like 242mhz I get errors.

Hmmm....

P.S. Goodnight.

peterhoang1988 said:
for the life of me, i just cant get my ram to pass test 8 with no errors. tests 1-7 never shows up errors but test 8 no matter what i do, there are errors. the least amount of errors i can get in test 8 is 10 per pass with the same address failing over and over. of course, ive never had any problems in windows with games running and dvds ripping at the same time.

increasing or lowing volts gives more errors so 3.5 is the sweet spot. cas 2.5 gives even more as well.

Dood this ram is weird i also have the value ocz winbond chips wont run without spd timings wont run with any divider. But it passed prime all night 26 pass's at 2.55v and 245 fsb 2.5-3-3-8 1t as soon as i change any timing it just beeps before bootup

I wonder if there is a specific bios that it would like on my board.

Yeah, so basically it sucks with test 8.

peterhoang1988 said:

Mate,
You need to calculate tref properly.

tREF= Refresh rate of your RAM x HTT (select a higher value if need be)

Back