• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cap's Water Cooling Adventure - 2005

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capneedle

Registered
So I've lurked and posted a few times on this forum, but reading everything has pushed me into the realm of watercooling for my PC. Another factor is the unreasonable temperatures I'm getting with my 6800GT Leadtek card. So the obvious choice for me anywasy is to go to watercooling, so here is my project thread. I began ordering my parts today and will get some pre-pics up shortly. I'd like to be able to post my CAD drawings but I have no way to convert them properly. I'm using some freeware...emachineshop, theat worked effectively for what I needed.

Parts: :santa: :santa:

DD Acetal Maze4 - for the 6800
Frozen Montster ramsinks - for the 6800
Hydor 35L pump
Swiftech MCW6002 - P
Delta WFB1212HE -R00 (120MM fans) x 4 actually ordered 6 for minimum 25.00 order
Expansion Slot AC relay slot for pump
Clear Chenming Elite Window Kit - window mod
Arctic Alumina Adhesive
UV blue cable sleeving kit
Sunbeam 5.25" Rheobus black
MasterKleer 1/2" ID 3/4"OD tubing
Heater Core Fedco 2-199 ('77 Bonneville w/o AC)
Shroud will be fabbed at home haven't decided on which route to go.

That's the bulk of it, rest I will get from local hardware store. Comments if you so desire. Pre-pics to come soon.

for the shroud you can probably find "weapon" lurking around the classifieds with a very very nice heater core shroud. i think he looks for the 38$ range but ask him for the price. but that is very very good price to pay for what you get on some of the pictures ive seen of his shroud.

also too, i always vote for Danger den stuff all the way around. which means your CPU block =)

Swiftech block was picked entirely on performance per the interactive procooling graphical analysis showing the various delta T's of each block. Swiftech block is an incredible performer comparitively. Love the input...

Oh the case is a Antec SOHO 1080. Currect ugly pics attached. Will paint the case most likely as well.

100_0398.jpg

Window will go where that fan hole is now. Paint will help clean up the look as well.

100_0404.jpg

Just the basic guts. It's the rig in my sig.

honhon said:
for the shroud you can probably find "weapon" lurking around the classifieds with a very very nice heater core shroud.

I would but I need some more posts :bang head

Personally I'd pick a better pump. Hydors perform nice, but don't last as long as some others (@ least mine didn't, lasted 6 or so months). The rest of the list looks fine however.

capneedle said:
I would but I need some more posts :bang head

that is true.

ALSO, i must say its a joy water cooling that case. i know from personal experience.

heres 2 pics before i parted the rig:

attachment.php

attachment.php

capneedle said:
Swiftech block was picked entirely on performance per the interactive procooling graphical analysis showing the various delta T's of each block. Swiftech block is an incredible performer comparitively. Love the input...

Oh the case is a Antec SOHO 1080. Currect ugly pics attached. Will paint the case most likely as well.

Window will go where that fan hole is now. Paint will help clean up the look as well.

Yes don't worry about the pics. Paint will definately hide a lot of ugly.

hey isnt that case also the same one as the chieftec dragon case? they both look exactly the same inside, but the front looks different, i got that chieftec version of that case, and painted interior/exterior engine enamal low gloss black, turned out nicer then i thought.

i drilled out the rivets for the hd and floppy bays for my hc
id really like to see how you plan on placing your hc :)
got any plans? inside the case or outside?

The_WRATH said:
hey isnt that case also the same one as the chieftec dragon case? they both look exactly the same inside, but the front looks different, i got that chieftec version of that case, and painted interior/exterior engine enamal low gloss black, turned out nicer then i thought.

Alot of Companies use that same Case just rebrand it and make the exterior look a little different

The_WRATH said:

Well I'm hesitant to post how I'm going to do it, since it's a little unique. I will be removing both of the quick release 3.5" drivebay. I'll create a HC/shroud/fan assembly and instead of placing it in the normal position (front of case), I'm rotating it 90 degrees, and will cut out intake from the case door. I will then build a second shroud/scoop that will direct the incoming air from the fans to the mobo/ram.

I have the drawing in a CAD program need to figure out how to post those pics.

I like the Hydro L35, and have researched it quite well.

As for the beaver that qnawed this hole, jigsaw be damned, i got a dremel now! :p

capneedle said:
I have the drawing in a CAD program need to figure out how to post those pics.

If you can't figure out any other way, it's fairly easy to just take a screen shot, trim unwanted bits in Paint, and save as a jpg :)

Lunar_Lamp said:
If you can't figure out any other way, it's fairly easy to just take a screen shot, trim unwanted bits in Paint, and save as a jpg :)

I don't know why but I have never gotten screenshots to work. ANy suggestions, because I'd love to post the plans, and ideas for you all to enjoy. Stuff is on the way I'm so excited, just need to go pick up my heater core sometime.

do you have any of this yet? cause if not, i would strongly advise you to take a look at some better pumps, most noticably the D5/MCP-655

and also, for the tubing, look into clearflex60, its got a bend radius better than masterkleer, and its still only 68 cents per foot @ mcmaster (sold under the name Chemical PVC tubing - its on the same pricing chart as tygon r-3603)

capneedle said:
I don't know why but I have never gotten screenshots to work. ANy suggestions, because I'd love to post the plans, and ideas for you all to enjoy. Stuff is on the way I'm so excited, just need to go pick up my heater core sometime.

ALT+PRINT SCREEN not working?

Sneaky said:
do you have any of this yet? cause if not, i would strongly advise you to take a look at some better pumps, most noticably the D5/MCP-655

and also, for the tubing, look into clearflex60, its got a bend radius better than masterkleer, and its still only 68 cents per foot @ mcmaster (sold under the name Chemical PVC tubing - its on the same pricing chart as tygon r-3603)

I looked at that and it didn't have a better bend radius than the masterkleer. I've looked all over the forum and it seems to be a toss up between the two. Pg 82 and 85 respectively, I posted this information in another post on tubing.

Masterkleer 1.75" bend radius at 1/2 ID 3/4 OD
ChemPVC 3" bend radius at 1/2 ID 3/4 OD

I don't understand what most think is the problem with the L35, I'd appreciate the input, but it's a quiet pump has good head, and flow. the L35 seems to have gotten rid of the problems the L30 had with the impellor problems. I don't mind the AC part of it, so I have no problem with that. Give me some specifics, reviews, studies, etc. I really appreciate everyone's input.

I think for a first WCing rig this is by far above the barebones, but definitely not top of the line.

Last edited:
Plans

Ok this is the rudimentary plans that I whipped up. It'll be interesting if I can pull it off.

Capplan.jpg

Don't know if I'm going with a reservoir for sure or not. The res would be just outside the case. The only problem with this design is if I can fit the window mod AND the intake fan area within 17" or so. It'll be interesting for sure. I may just make 2 120mm holes in the side panel where the HC will be, but don't know if that will be decrease airflow too much or not.

well, the L35 has only 6ft of head, while the MCP655/D5 has 12ft of head, making the MCP655/D5 much more suitable for water cooling, especially in multi-block systems

Back