• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

page file hyjinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quingoff

Registered
A week or two back I was messing with my page file, not manual changing the size but I was clicken no page file to play comp games and switching it back on when I wasn't playing games. I found the gameplay was more reactive and smooth with no page. I stumbled onto finding that out bc I forgot to turn the page back on after defrag. I only did that about, oh 5 or 6 times, switch it off to play games then back to system managed size non game time.

Before messing with it... my comp start up time was about 1:10 and the Windows XP splash screen only had to do 1 1/2 passes with that little blue deal status thing, hopefully you know what I'm talking about. When I was messing with it that 5 or 6 times the start up was the same but when I stopped doing it and just sololy had a system managed page, it went weird. Now it takes 5 to 8 1/2 passes (its different from start up to start up) on the splash screen but the overall startup time is about 54 secs. now. I was thinking whatever it starts up faster now, cool. But over time my comp just seems to be acting a little strange, seems slower, like its stuggling. I can't pin it down it just seems different

Could messing with page file do this... or is it prob something else?

yeah .. let me reach way way back .. somebody can correct me or elab more if they will...

i think what might have happened is you relocated the pagefile.. this happens when you turn it off and defrag then turn it back on... the pagefile is located in a specific place on your hd. whenyou turn it off and defrag it removes/adjust its initial position. therefore when turning it back on it has to create a new point for it ...

what is it set too currently ?

how much ram do you have in your system ?

what is it set too currently ?
System manganged size 1534MB

how much ram do you have in your system ?
1 gig

i think what might have happened is you relocated the pagefile.. this happens when you turn it off and defrag then turn it back on...

removes/adjust its initial position. therefore when turning it back on it has to create a new point for it ...

so the act of turning it on and off a couple times relocated it to a different area of the hard drive that may have brought about the faster start time?

also it is NOT possible to completly turn off your page file - XP always has one.

Even when you set it to no page file in advances tab under system properties?

Back