• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Okay so here goes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a1cnolan

I just bought my first legit copy of winxp home. its giving me an error that it can't find a file. asms...same problem but a new twist. i don't have a bootdisk. i also am typing this post on the only other computer in my house which is a mac. so its kind of hard to find software to make a boot cd out of for windows... all i know is i need to copy my i386 folder over to my hd and i can't get a boot to do it with. any ideas?

is it possible to copy this over using the recovery console? if so how? i've never been too adept when it came to DOS mode..

ack.
..my TI in basic always used to say... "DAMMIT NOLAN YOU COULD F$%^ UP A WET DREAM!!!"
the D$%^ was right

EDIT!!! never mind about the recovery console. I can't get into it because there is some defqault admin password on my sheezy...cause i was only halfway through installing and thats when it happened

Last edited:
I dint understand what you are doing are you trying to install it over an existing ver, or trying to update. Can you just boot to your CD and delete the existing partition, create a new one, format and then install? Why do you want boot disks and all that copy to hard drive install stuff?

Okay. im going for a reformat reinstall.
About halfway through the install it goes. Cyclic redundancy check blah blah blah. the system log says its looking for a file called asms. Does this several times always. so i do a search on OCforums and it leads me to believe it has something to do with my cdrom drive. okay so simple enough i would copy the i386 file over to my hd so i can run setup from there. well nope. can't do it. because i don't have a bootdisk to do it with. no dos mode with cdrom support and such. so there you have it..

May have something to do with yourCDROM may be the CD. Has this cdrom giving you trouble before? Have you inspected the CD for dirt or smudge. Hav you tried just the CDROM on one cable and the Drive on another then try the install. Blow the dust from the CDROM. Do you have another drive/computer to slave the drive to and copy from?

Also have you checked this link out for boot disks?

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Sometimes you gotta try a few times of deleting format/chkdsk(full format), create new part to get a good install

Back