• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remove Thermal grease on new GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Romain

Registered
I just got my 7800GTX and am waiting for my MAZE 4 in the mail. Am i supposed to remove the thermal grease on the GPU and RAM chips before i install the water block and RAMsinks? And if so, what would be the best way to do that with some at home products.

Its recommended to replace it with some aftermarket thermal grease, usualy its always better. I just cleaned off my 6800 Ultra with a paper towel, wiping everything very carefully.

5|*42 said:
use isopropyl and a coffee filter. and replace it with AS5 or AS Creamique

And then place the Waterblock on over the grease?

Aidenswarrior said:
how could you get yourself into watercooling before not even knowing about thermal paste? i think you should have done a little more reasearch

Everyone has to start somewhere. ;) I didn't know much about thermal paste when I first started, and if my first rig was watercooled (which is a really simple method of cooling, it isn't very complicated) I would probably have the same confusion.

No question is too stupid, if in doubt, just go ahead and ask! BTW, :welcome: to OCforums!

Arctic thermal cleaner works great(I love the stuff) but rubbing alcohol will do nicely. Just use something lint free like the coffee filter and not papertowels. The small filters in the paper towel will insulate those tiny spots.

JT

Back