• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I run XP64bit or 32bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I have a new system I just built. Opteron 165 on DFI board. It's just for gaming. SHould I be on xp64bit or 32bit?

I say stick with 32-bit. Unless you have something you want to run that requires 64-bit.

32bit as he says unless you have an app that requires 64bit. Windows 64 has the worst driver support of any windows out there, generaly it hurts your performance and ends up being a huge pain.

The only real benefit of 64bit at this point is the ability to use more RAM. 32bit already allows for more RAM than is really needed for a typical system anyway, so it isn't all that great of a benefit. Driver support is a BIG downfall, and it will hurt you in the end.

Another vote for 32bit. If you have the money, and desire then just do a dual boot to play with it.

I would suggest XP32 unless you have something you want to run that's 64 bit... Personally I have been running XP64 since it was released, and I love it. I don't really run any 64 bit apps, but it has acted a lot better for me than XP32 (much longer between re-installs, and I can count the number of crashes on one hand)

How many of you that talk bad about XP64 have actually tried to use it??

I agree that driver support is lacking, but if you are willing to look, you can find drivers for most chipsets, videocards, ethernet chipsets, and wireless cards.

Heck, there is even a beta HP printer driver set that operates flawlessly on my machine with my printer. My Epson printer had not one issue.

The driver complaint about XP64 is getting old, and it becoming less and less common. Don't believe the hype.:bang head

As far as games, applications, etc. The speed variance is +/- 1% negligible. You will not notice a difference at all.

Memory? Who cares.

BSOD? In the last year, having run XP 64 non stop, never reinstalling, installing and uninstalling tons o'crap, I have had 3 total.

As far as spyware, none. 32-bit ActiveX does not work on 64bit, meaning less if not any spyware.
Virues, none.

There are anti-virus and firewall applications for XP64. Every single application I have tried to run that had been made in the last 3 years works fine (with the exception of Sin Emergence, total lock up).

I say take a chance. I love XP 64 and I refuse to ever go to XP32 again.

Look to www.planetAMD64.com for more beta drivers/support.

I said it before,
IMHO XP64 is that last OS I will need until Vista has gone through rigorous Post-Beta testing, which should be sometime around 2009.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=458056

BTW, Sucka, your guide is quite out of date.

Vampiregabe said:
How many of you that talk bad about XP64 have actually tried to use it??

I have x64 installed on a secondary system dual booted with XP Pro 32bit. Honstly the only problem I have had that I can't solve, as far as drivers are concerned, is my printer. HP printer but from a server not a direct connection. So I can't force a driver from the x64 CD and HP doesn't even have a beta yet. So I can't print. Other drivers were anywhere from automatic to needing a bit of digging to find, but I got them.

The other problem is software that won't install on it because it sees it as a server OS. Most applications work fine, but some AV and firewalls won't work.

Anyway I see no huge benefit in it that would make me choose it and have to fight to find the drivers, and hope I can get them all. Maybe once 64bit is more supported in general it will make a difference, but until then I really don't see why to bother.

Just real quick the apps I know work just fine on XP64:

AVG firewall and antivirus (64-bit mode available)
Adobe CS2
FarCry (64-bit mode available)
Quake 4
Doom 3
Nero 7
Office 2003
UT2004 (64-bit mode available)
Half-Life 2 (64-bit mode available)
FEAR
Firefox
Fox PDF
Eraser
CPU Z
3Dmark 2006
SiSandra
Speedfan
OpenSSL32
Winrar
OpenOffice (uninstalled)

I am using a D-Link g-520 wireless card, supported on a Atheros wireless driver.
Beta HP driver set.
Nforce4 chipset 64-bit along with 7800gt support (previously on a via 64-bit chipset).

Nvidia and ATI both make 64-bit drivers. There is a beta Hauppauge driver for TV cards. The drivers are coming, slowly.

So don't be fooled by the chicken littles screaming the sky is falling. It's not.

Xp64 was the best move I have ever made in computing.

EricD, what software did what you are describing? Most AV/Firewalls will not work in 64-bit, they need recoding. Many do work though, the main one that does not work is Norton. But AVG and Avast and Nod32 all work.

Sucka said:
Yeah, but still better than the guide you've written...

I am sorry for offending you. I just thought if you were going to link information to someone about the possiblity of a purchase, then one would link updated information. It is nothing personal, I was just letting you know.

anyways you said it yourself:

I really need to update this thread

I'll do that when i have a bit of spare time.

Same here, sorry, i did take that personally for whatever reason...

I realize it isn't up to date, but in my defense, it was in its day ;)

My biggest problems when I installed that I never got around were AVG, Sygate Firewall, and HP drivers as mentioned.

Maybe AVG came out with a newer version between then and now that will work. I know there are other progams as well though that have issues. I just think simply the bottom line is that if you want to gaurantee 100% compatability then XP Pro is the way to go. If you want to be up with the latest version, and don't mind doing a little extra work, and maybe changing what programs you use if needed, than x64 is good.

I have no problem with x64 itself, it has worked flawlessly for me so far. The only issue I have had has been the program/driver issue, which is always getting better. The thing is that I don't really notice any huge improvement that would make me say a switch is worth the compatability issues.

Captain Newbie you a pilot? What are you flying? I'm training airforce guys here in Del Rio at the moment. Nothing special just a C172. I fly a Merlin IIIB for the bossman though.

Since installing XPx64 6 months ago I have had zero driver issues and almost all of my favorite apps run fine.
One notable exception to the above is Aquamark3 which won't install.

Oddly-or humorously, depending on your mindset- is the absolutely crap support from MS themselves.
Neither the new WMP11 Beta nor the Vista readiness tool will run on x64.

ToiletDuck said:
Captain Newbie you a pilot? What are you flying? I'm training airforce guys here in Del Rio at the moment. Nothing special just a C172. I fly a Merlin IIIB for the bossman though.
<Threadjack> Student pilot, soloed last week. Dad's an airline pilot, quite familiar with the airplanes and such. Flying the 172 now. I also fly the Level D 767 in FS2004 to scratch the simulated jet itch. :)</threadjack>

Back