• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Services and other non needed MS OS crap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

When my friend installed a file, I suspect a registry file?? onto my freshly made XP Pro hard drive a few years ago. The file he found off the internet had stopped all the annoying MS OS Services that people were complaining about.

However, I don't recall where he got this file.

So, if I need to reinstall windows I will "gain" back all those crappy services if I upgrade to SP2 with a fresh install on my hard drive.

I need a simple and quick way to turn off all those services, it's been so long I don't even remember which ones can be turned off or not for that matter.

Any links or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

^^^
Best way to do it. Most of the more annoying services and the ones that were security concerns were disabled with SP2 though.

Thanks I didn't know that. I built my rig w/friend back in 2003..so I haven't kept track of things too much w/regard to SP2

My only concern would stopping something that would cause windows to crash basically.

Viper69 said:
Thanks I didn't know that. I built my rig w/friend back in 2003..so I haven't kept track of things too much w/regard to SP2

My only concern would stopping something that would cause windows to crash basically.
You'll know right away if you do, and you will need to restart into safe mode and re-run services.msc (if memory serves you can still do this in safe mode...I don't have Winders anymore...).

Viper69 said:
When my friend installed a file, I suspect a registry file?? onto my freshly made XP Pro hard drive a few years ago. The file he found off the internet had stopped all the annoying MS OS Services that people were complaining about.

However, I don't recall where he got this file.

So, if I need to reinstall windows I will "gain" back all those crappy services if I upgrade to SP2 with a fresh install on my hard drive.

I need a simple and quick way to turn off all those services, it's been so long I don't even remember which ones can be turned off or not for that matter.

Any links or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I'm curious to know what you think disabling "all those crappy services" will gain you? And why do you call the services that you feel need to be disabled "crappy"? Perhaps you could provide the rest of us a "before and after" type comparison... one before disabling all those so-called "crappy services", and one after. Possibly run a benchmarking program which simulates running hardware intensive applications (something that stresses the entire system), and provide results before and after disabling those services.

Way back when, when Black Viper's site was so popular, I followed his guide and changed all the services on my system to his recommended values. I for one didn't notice any difference in system performance one way or the other... the only service at that time which really needed to be disabled was the Messenger service (that was pre-SP2, at which time that particular service was set to Automatic by default), which was then set to Disabled by default in SP2 for security reasons. So if you're seeing an actual performance gain, I'd like to see what it is... and for whatever other reason(s), I'd like to know what they are.

Last edited:
If you're low on RAM, disabling services might help. And of course ressource hogs like resident virus scanners and the like. Apart from that I can't think of any positive results from this.

No, I see now..many things have been cleared with SP2 that I wasn't aware of. By crappy..I just meant apps that use system resources. I too remember Black Viper's site. It was very helpful back then..I'm not referring to any truely noticeable performance gain though.

Despite my computer's "age" of about 4 yrs it runs as fast as it used to, with very little modding..Just some minor volt tweaking to my RAM sticks for the higher end vid games like BF2, Splinter Cell etc was all I needed.

Hmm...this gives me food for thought now...If only I could figure out on my other post if I should bail out on Norton AV 2003 and get 2006, or go w/something I have never used NOD32

Back