• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM dilema

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

I have a problem here... I ordered this G.Skill ram for a customer of mine. It's 512mb, DDR400 and his PC used DDR266 so it should have worked fine. I install it and the system fails to recognize the new ram. I swap it into the other memory slot and get the same result. Not cool. He has another PC that also uses DDR266 and let me test the ram in that machine too. Same result. So, as of this point I thought the ram was DOA. I get home, pop it into my machine, and it boots right up. WTF? So, what should I do? I'm past Newegg's return-for-a-refund date. A new stick probably won't help since this one apparently works @ DDR400, so an RMA would be pointless. Do you think there's any point in calling Newegg or G.Skill and asking them what I should do? Maybe trade this stick for PC2100 here on the forum? Also, why wouldn't this stick work at slower speeds?

edit: here's what crucial has to say about this system, a Gateway 500 series.
# Maximum Memory: 1024MB
# Standard Memory: 128, 256, or 512MB removable
# Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)
# USB Support: 1.x Compliant
Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?

A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC2700 speeds.

Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Last edited:
maybe its voltage related?not enough juice to boot up?thats really strange.i regularly advise clients to go with ddr3200 rather than 2700.never had a problem...so far.i would give newegg a try they may let you trade it for something else.they are really good about that kind of thing.especially if your a regular customer.

maxfly said:
maybe its voltage related?not enough juice to boot up?thats really strange.i regularly advise clients to go with ddr3200 rather than 2700.never had a problem...so far.i would give newegg a try they may let you trade it for something else.they are really good about that kind of thing.especially if your a regular customer.
it was the same voltage too. I don't get it. I think I will give newegg a call tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I might swap it for a stick of (used) PC2100 from my Dad's machine. He said he wouldn't mind. This still annoys me though.

I should add that I have upgraded 30+ machines so far and this is the first time I've ever had this issue. I drop quite a bt of money at the egg, so I would imagine they'll help me, but even if they don't, I'll understand.

Back