• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte S3. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BluScreen

Registered
I've read the posts on this forum for quite some time, but this is actually my first time posting. I'm at my wits end here, so..... I'll hear anything anybody has to say. Just want to add that I'm a veteran at building computers and such, so.. technical stuff is fine. =)

I think what I may be experiencing is all motherboard-related, that's why I put it here. It might not be though. =(.
I've had to set the fan to "disable" on the control mode, because otherwise I guess the relay is bad. I still get the "fan isn't working" beep from the system before the fan kicks on. Also, Windows will sometimes act erratically-- some settings seem to never save. And then the real problems have started. I only want to run the computer at a stable and very modest overclock. I've found a combination of a couple of +.1v to the FSB and CPU, and everything is *well* within it's limits... I've only pushed the CPU to 2.5 GHz or something along those lines, while everybody else runs stable at 3.5. Now that I FINALLY have the computer able to boot with these PERFECT settings (they must be, since it wont boot ANY other way), the trouble has started. Sometimes Windows will boot missing programs in the startup and such. The audio is also getting a lot of static when the CPU is under load (this is highly annoying). I've tested it with other speakers to see if that was the problem or not, but it isn't. You know, my older machine also had a RealTek built-in sound card that did the exact same thing. Totally different mobo manufacturer, too. I thought it was "dirty power" coming from the wall outlet, but with a filter it still does it. Also, (this is something I REALLY want to fix) if the computer has been off for a few hours, and it's "cold," it will boot the first time with "artifacts?" all over the screen. It looks like an NES cartridge that needs to be blown out. lol. I have to manually turn the computer off, wait, and turn it back on for things to be kosher again. I think that perhaps I've just received a bad motherboard? I have the newest drivers for everything and all... and the new BIOS.

I'm pulling my hair out! lol
Like I said, any bits of info and I'll love you forever.

All the parts are new, graphics card is an nvidia 7900 GT. I don't think it's the culprit for the screen problems at a cold boot.
Anyways. Thanks!

:welcome: First off Welcome to the Forums!!!! As for your problems, I would say put everything at stock first and see if it still acts up. If that seems to still be acting unusual then Piece by piece try to figure out what is the culprit. Just reading this it makes sense to me that it would be either the motherboard or the gfx card. Not entirely sure though. I don't have an S3 to play with otherwise I would let you know some setting that worked for me and see if it was an obvious setting that for some reason got overlooked.

~jtjuska

Get your money back while you can

BluScreen said:
I've read the posts on this forum for quite some time, but this is actually my first time posting. I'm at my wits end here, so..... I'll hear anything anybody has to say. Just want to add that I'm a veteran at building computers and such, so.. technical stuff is fine. =)

I think what I may be experiencing is all motherboard-related, that's why I put it here. It might not be though. =(.
I've had to set the fan to "disable" on the control mode, because otherwise I guess the relay is bad. I still get the "fan isn't working" beep from the system before the fan kicks on. Also, Windows will sometimes act erratically-- some settings seem to never save. And then the real problems have started. I only want to run the computer at a stable and very modest overclock. I've found a combination of a couple of +.1v to the FSB and CPU, and everything is *well* within it's limits... I've only pushed the CPU to 2.5 GHz or something along those lines, while everybody else runs stable at 3.5. Now that I FINALLY have the computer able to boot with these PERFECT settings (they must be, since it wont boot ANY other way), the trouble has started. Sometimes Windows will boot missing programs in the startup and such. The audio is also getting a lot of static when the CPU is under load (this is highly annoying). I've tested it with other speakers to see if that was the problem or not, but it isn't. You know, my older machine also had a RealTek built-in sound card that did the exact same thing. Totally different mobo manufacturer, too. I thought it was "dirty power" coming from the wall outlet, but with a filter it still does it. Also, (this is something I REALLY want to fix) if the computer has been off for a few hours, and it's "cold," it will boot the first time with "artifacts?" all over the screen. It looks like an NES cartridge that needs to be blown out. lol. I have to manually turn the computer off, wait, and turn it back on for things to be kosher again. I think that perhaps I've just received a bad motherboard? I have the newest drivers for everything and all... and the new BIOS.

I'm pulling my hair out! lol
Like I said, any bits of info and I'll love you forever.

All the parts are new, graphics card is an nvidia 7900 GT. I don't think it's the culprit for the screen problems at a cold boot.
Anyways. Thanks!
Return it and get your money back while you can. Don't rma it.

They announced version 2 of the DS3 this morning and all these problems are being fixed there.

RUN RUN RUN!!!

I really, really, really really, REALLY do *not* want to re-install windows. I looked at the specs of the board, and it looks very similar to the S3. Do you think I could plug and play? I'm curious if I could get away with just.. reinstalling basic drivers. I'll contact newegg right now. =)

I've contacted newegg. BTW, thank you for your time, advice, and welcoming message JT =)

The built-in NIC looks the same to me. I would be getting the P965, too.. since I don't want built-in video. =)

Oh, I see, you're right. Surely new drivers for that would be the only requirement in swapping hard drives.. don't you think?

Well, I got my new board! So far there are no sound issues, and windows seems to be acting normal again. There are still, however, a mess of crazed pixels on my screen at the first cold-boot. I'm going to start another thread asking for settings for particular overclocks, and maybe if I try somebody else's that's not having the problem, I might be able to fix mine. I'd like to quickly add that my motherboard is a revision 2, but its still just a regular ds3. Revision 2 stuff wasn't even on their site until yesterday! I'm suprised NewEgg didn't just give me something hanging around on a shelf.

Confused

BluScreen said:
Well, I got my new board! So far there are no sound issues, and windows seems to be acting normal again. There are still, however, a mess of crazed pixels on my screen at the first cold-boot. I'm going to start another thread asking for settings for particular overclocks, and maybe if I try somebody else's that's not having the problem, I might be able to fix mine. I'd like to quickly add that my motherboard is a revision 2, but its still just a regular ds3. Revision 2 stuff wasn't even on their site until yesterday! I'm suprised NewEgg didn't just give me something hanging around on a shelf.
I think you may be confused. There is a revision 2 of the 965 chipset and there is a revision 2 of the DS3 (DS3P rev 2.).

Revision 2 of the chipset is what I have and I got it in August from newegg. I don't believe that the DS3P Rev 2 is available yet.

How are you determining that your new board is revision 2?

Edit....can you fill out your system specs in your sig so they are readily viewable?

I can.. I'll do that in a bit.

I think it's revision 2 because the board says "Rev. 2" on it, and when I check Gigabyte's website, they JUST NOW list a 965P-DS3 (Rev 2).

INFO

BluScreen said:
I can.. I'll do that in a bit.

I think it's revision 2 because the board says "Rev. 2" on it, and when I check Gigabyte's website, they JUST NOW list a 965P-DS3 (Rev 2).

Not to be confused with the GA-965P-ds3p rev 2

Your board is just the rev 2 of the chipset.

I am sure it doesn't have all the new features of the rev 2 board that was announced last week. You can't even buy it anywhere.

Just so we are all on the same page when we are talking.

info

Your specs
"Gigabyte 965P-DS3 (Rev. 2)
Core 2 Duo e6300 1.8ghz @ 2.56ghz
GeForce 7900 GS Overclocked Edition
2x512 Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM
CoolMax 450w PSU with 28 amps available on +12v
750 gigs of HD space! Woohoo"

Ok.....the 7900GS OC editions are notorious for problems. I would return it for a replacement. That is probably what is causing your artifacts.

You memory should be fine. If you put it on a 1:1 with the FSb you will get a higher OC.

The PSU should be a 550 minimum.

jph1589 said:
Your specs
"Gigabyte 965P-DS3 (Rev. 2)
Core 2 Duo e6300 1.8ghz @ 2.56ghz
GeForce 7900 GS Overclocked Edition
2x512 Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM
CoolMax 450w PSU with 28 amps available on +12v
750 gigs of HD space! Woohoo"

Ok.....the 7900GS OC editions are notorious for problems. I would return it for a replacement. That is probably what is causing your artifacts.

You memory should be fine. If you put it on a 1:1 with the FSb you will get a higher OC.

The PSU should be a 550 minimum.

Well, I put Rev 2 because my motherboard says that on it... and the book that came with the motherboard says on the front "965P-DS3 Rev 2.0"
lol

I'm looking into graphics card problems, but I'll know for sure when I try another card. I've never had trouble with any of BFG Tech's overclocked editions before. It seems to work very well during demanding games.

I don't want a higher OC.

Lastly, 450 Watts should be more than enough-- especially with around 30 amps available between the two 12 volt rails.

One more thing

BluScreen said:
Well, I put Rev 2 because my motherboard says that on it... and the book that came with the motherboard says on the front "965P-DS3 Rev 2.0"

One more thing. Take a picture of your board and that manual and post them.

Appreciate your vote of confidence. lol
I've got a lot going on today, so I took a picture of the manual with my webcam, but I'm not crawling down into my case with a flashlight and camera today. You can believe it or not, it really doesn't make a difference to me.
rev2.jpg

Back