• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New bios for asus p5b dlx/wifi 1004

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

New bios was released for asus p5b deluxe and wifi board

Changes:
1 Enhance memory compatibility
2 Support CONROE E0 CPU(FSB 1333)

Yes. Officially out on 1/22/07. However, the beta version had been around for a few months or so.

Anyway, I'm back with my results.

Comment:
To my disappointment, I did not get as good as some other people at XS did.
They reported same FSB limit but more stable.
For me, the FSB max decreased.
My previous analysis with BIOS version 0910 can be found at:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=496802
However, I have changed my computer specs from 1 harddrive to 2x harddrives and have installed a different OS (Vista from XP with SP2).
Maybe that caused the decrease of max FSB. I'm not flashing back the BIOS because I think my change of specs affected this decrease of max FSB.
I'm still using these Corsair ValueRAM 2GB DDR2-533 (PC-4300) :-(
SuperDave of our ocforum will be buying my DDR ram so hopefully I'll get some better RAM soon.

Anyway, to the analysis:

Summary:
BIOS version 1004
Max FSB at 356 with the following settings
Vcore = 1.3375V
Vdimm = 2.00V
FSB termination = 1.4V
NB = 1.55V
SB = 1.50V
ICH = Auto
RAM settings = 5-5-5-15 6-42 3-11-5-14

Setting Difference from previous BIOS

Vdimm = 2.00V instead of 1.95V in BIOS version 0910
In BIOS version 1004,
Vdimm decreased to 1.95V, max FSB decreased by 2.0% (7 FSB)
Vdimm increased to 2.05V, max FSB decreased by 0.003% (1 FSB)
In conclusion, RAM is more stable with BIOS version 1004 when compared with version 0910.
This agrees with others' results (at XS forum) who claims that they can run tighter RAM settings at the same FSB/voltage/etc.

Detailed analysis:

Vcore = 1.3375V
When increased to 1.400V, max FSB decreased by 2.9% (10 FSB) <-big decrease? o_O

Vdimm = 2.00V
Please refer to "Setting Difference from previous BIOS" above.

FSB termination = 1.4V
When increased to 1.45V, max FSB stayed the same 0% (0 FSB) <-aka. use 1.4V to save electricity
When decreased to 1.3V, max FSB decreased by 2.3% (8 FSB)

NB = 1.55V
When decreased to 1.45V, max FSB decreased by 0.3% (1 FSB)
When increase to 1.65V, TBA (haven't tried yet but previous analysis with 0910 showed 0.5% (2FSB) decrease.)

SB = 1.50V
When increased to 1.60V, max FSB decreased by 4.6% (16 FSB) <-big decrease? o_O
When decreased to 1.3V, TBA (haven't tried yet; haven't tried in previous analysis with 0910 either.).

ICH = Auto <- I really do wonder what voltage "Auto" is at
When changed to 1.057V, max FSB decreased by 1.7% (13 FSB) <-big decrease? o_O
When changed to 1.215V, max FSB decreased by 0.3% (1 FSB)

Future:

So there's my results with this new version of our motherboard's BIOS.
Future analysis will hopefully be with:
better RAM (need $ or need RAM price to come down)
Vdroop mod (easily done)
Fan on NB heatsink
AS5 under NB/SB heatsinks
using screws instead of clip for NB/SB heatsinks

Last edited:
Another **** release,this one won't let you downgrade with the asus update tool either.:bang head

where in the hell do i find the new asus update version for my asus p5b deluxe? They don't make it easy to find. Do I just connect to the internet with my current version and it will update itself?

Luie said:
To my disappointment, I did not get as good as some other people at XS did.
They reported same FSB limit but more stable.
For me, the FSB max decreased.

My board is brand new, and I still have 0614. Do you recommend the 0910, or the 1004? Are either a worthwhile improvement?

Those ********! God! Scared the hell out of me! When I updated my asus p5b-deluxe's bios to the newest ones, It freakin' refused to boot! Thankfully my logical mind took over, and I pulled my case out, removed the videocard and pulled the battery. Let it sit a few minutes, closed it back up (while dropping a screw in there, that alone took 2 minutest to dish out), and replaced the power cord.

I boot up and the bios told me that my overclock has failed! Are we supposed to return to default clocks when we flash a new bios? I was under the impression that that was already done for us. Well, I shall have to spend all wednesday reclocking my system, as I have know time now.

God that scared the hell out of me.

bobad said:
My board is brand new, and I still have 0614. Do you recommend the 0910, or the 1004? Are either a worthwhile improvement?

go with the 0901. People have had issues with the 1004 including myself. Do a search on the 1004 and you'll find some had miserable experiences with it

0711 working great for me :) 472fsb max with my cheesy 1gb kit of ocz, but i run them at 458, since they really werent meant for running this fast i think :)

Merlin7777 said:
Are we supposed to return to default clocks when we flash a new bios?

Yep, that's a must. Set the BIOS to default, boot into Windows, then re-start and do the BIOS update.

I hear that if you hose your BIOS, you can't simply replace the chip, although it's removable.

bobad said:
I hear that if you hose your BIOS, you can't simply replace the chip, although it's removable.

Nope, its not removable, its soldered tight in there ! :)

BIOS Chip Location.JPG

Im stuck with 1004 bios (
on my old 0910 bios mobo worked well with 400 fsb.
but when i have flashed 1004 it bearly deals with 370.
Its tragedy to me,because i cant downgrade to 0910.
I have tried all the methods including asusupdate (both versions)
afudosa nnd alt-f2 fllash method.All they say that they cant flash it.
I have also watched my driver disk,but found no help from it.
PLEASE HELPPPP!!!!!

Back