• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there a...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Contra

waterblock for the 939 that hooks up with the original plastic (clip on) setup

what i mean is that i dont wanna take my mobo out i just wanna clip it on like a regular heatsink i have searched but found nothing

If you did find one I wouldn't recommend using it. I think the stress would be too much for the plastic thinger. Just have to use a backplate! And if it wasn't stressing it too much, then it's just not cranking down tight enough.

i guess that is right but i am too lazy to take my mobo off but i wonder why the regular heatsink fits snug enough and a water block wouldnt a heatsonk is usually heavier...

Actually the block will be heavier unless you are using some huge Zalman type copper deal. You also have to add the weight of the tubing hanging on there as well. Even if the plastic mount held the block good at first it would eventually start to flex and you would lose cooling. There is a reason the reputable block manufacturers don't mount them that way.

If you are looking to do it cheap and easy then maybe you should stick with air, w/c is definitely neither. But done right it is well worth it.

The swiftech storm and apogee have a plastic spacer that goes between the mounting bracket and the plastic heatsink ring on the mobo. But i don't think there is a waterblock that clips onto the plastic ring. Im using the storm block on my A8N32 SLI DLX mounts great, and you won't have to take your mobo out, you can just remove your old heatsink, remove the screws holding the ring to the board, add the spacers and screw down the waterblock, The metal backing should stay in place they are on pretty good, just don't push down hard when you go to screw in the screws for the waterblock. It would be easier to turn the case so that the board is laying down and you are going in from the top, not standing up.

On the 939 mount with the socket lugs all you have to do is remove the screws and the top half of the retention bracket comes off and you can bolt the heatsink onto the backplate without having to remove your motherboard.

OCnewbee said:
The swiftech storm and apogee have a plastic spacer that goes between the mounting bracket and the plastic heatsink ring on the mobo. But i don't think there is a waterblock that clips onto the plastic ring. Im using the storm block on my A8N32 SLI DLX mounts great, and you won't have to take your mobo out, you can just remove your old heatsink, remove the screws holding the ring to the board, add the spacers and screw down the waterblock, The metal backing should stay in place they are on pretty good, just don't push down hard when you go to screw in the screws for the waterblock. It would be easier to turn the case so that the board is laying down and you are going in from the top, not standing up.

You can do what you described, but usually the backplate moves and falls down onto the MB tray and you have to remove the motherboard to facilitate mounting. But you are right that it uses the original motherboard mounting system. I had to remount my Storm after cleaning it out recently and had this problem. I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the motherboard but it was not to be... had to unplug and unscrew everything and take it out.

Alien1099 said:
You can do what you described, but usually the backplate moves and falls down onto the MB tray and you have to remove the motherboard to facilitate mounting. But you are right that it uses the original motherboard mounting system. I had to remount my Storm after cleaning it out recently and had this problem. I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the motherboard but it was not to be... had to unplug and unscrew everything and take it out.

On my a8n32sli dlx brand new the backplate was on pretty good, i actually had to pry it off. it was on pretty good. But each board is different so you never know. Then in that case turn your case so the back side of the board faces up and install the block from undernieth, but it's all up to your prefference. Logically taking everything out of the case take no more then 5-10 minutes.

i think it'd be best to take your mobo off, on my Asrock i had to take it out of my case, i just poped off the stock plastic holder, and then i saw that there were 4 holes, then i used the socket 775 mounting hard-ware, worked perfectly. but probably when my extra o-ring comes im going to remove the springs and do it without the springs, and really tighten the block on with the artificial bow.

I don't think I've ever seen a block that uses the plastic holddown.
But one tip I use, is that when you do it the first time, cut a hole in the back of the mobo tray. That way you'll be able to hold the backer plate in place in future removals.

I also use mine for some added air circulation on the back of the motherboard. Since the processor is hardwired to all those contacts, it makes sense that they would 'sink heat from the processor core.
I've seen some guys even mount a small fan there too for some additional cpu/mobo cooling.

Just a thought/tip.

Back