• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

st6 chipset temp ...too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buduglee

Registered
I assume the system temp 1 in the bios is the temp of the mobo chipset.On my old be6-2 it hovers around 28c.
On the st6, under load it will get up to 50c.The case temp is around 33c and the celeron 1.2 is at 25c +-.(78 watt peltier@131
@1.75 volts with the case closed). I can go higher with the case open.
Is the high chipset temp normal? Should I attach a fan to the
chipset heatsink? If so what kind and where should I get it?
Should I have a beer?
Any and all advice apreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
I don't believe it's a chipset temp, rather a motherboard ambient temperature. I bet it's the heat being thrown of by your peltier affecting it. The 815 chipset is very cool running compared to other chipsets (namely VIA's offerings) and shouldn't need a fan. If your computer is operating well, I wouldn't worry, unless you're hard drives are scalding your fingers or something...

Thanks Sklathill...but What's your system 1 temp?
Anybody else with an st6? What's your system 1 temp show?

Last edited:
I also have an ST6. I believe that you are indeed correct about it being chipset temp. It does run high. Under load, such as SETI, it is typically about 45 C (113 F). It will drop a few degrees to 41 C (107 F) when the CPU is under light loads. Although the CPU is adjacent to the chip in which I believe the temp is measured, the CPU heat sink does not exhaust directly on it. Therefore, I think that this represents the true temp internal to this chip.

Back