• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does a Shroud do for you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Torlough

Registered
Just wondering. My fans are mounted directly to the radiator. I was thinking in about 9 months when I bleed my system and change water that it would be a great time to add a shroud. But I was wondering what are the temp benifits.

I would probably have to move the radiator to the top of the case to do this so it means new hoses.

Any great examples of good shrouds??

Thanks

as much as i hate to admit it(sob cost $30 at the time)my shroud didnt help my temps one iota :( it does look good tho lol.

shrouds

1. A shroud may or maynot affect temps. It depends on what type of rad you are using.
2. Increasing the distance of the fan from the surface of the rad can decrease the amount of noise the fan makes/air turbulence.
3. A shroud can help with mounting the rad in certain situations.

A low-flow fan and thick/dense rad will never net you very much. You gain flow due to less pressure drop, but at the expense of much needed boundry layer-breaking turbulance. Most people use shrouds with powerful fans, and use the excess power to pull-through to maximize air flow.

If you're running blowers that can rip paint off the walls, things will be different...

What is the cfm of the fans you guys are rocking on on shrouded rads? i got 2 120mm dynax or whatever *the ones from best buy* sandwhiching the rad (i know probably not ideal) and its kind of noisey, i did have a rubbermaid shroud on a a/c fan before but it was annoying and took up tons of space

If you have a good shroud/rad design (ala Thermochill PA series), you can also create a pseudo-vacuum with the fans on the shroud sucking and pulling air through the rad.

would something like this be effective?? my setup looks just like that,minus the shrouds
pic11.jpg

would something like this be effective?? my setup looks just like that,minus the shrouds
pic11.jpg

It'll work, but it would work better if you had the fans on the outside of some shrouds. That way there's less deadzone and air is covering the whole rad (not just the two ~120mm circles under the fan).

Shrouds are mainly just for heatercores, most radiators have little shrouds already.

Thermochill ones do, but Swiftech radiators, Black Ice series radiators, and basically any other computer radiator I've seen hasn't had an integral shroud.

Thermochill ones do, but Swiftech radiators, Black Ice series radiators, and basically any other computer radiator I've seen hasn't had an integral shroud.
Swiftech MCR rads have about 8mm of clearence between rad and fan, there is a small shroud that creates this gap.

Swiftech MCR rads have about 8mm of clearence between rad and fan, there is a small shroud that creates this gap.

Wasn't aware of that, I thought the screw holes were directly above the rad fins. Which in itself does create a little gap, but not enough that I'd say is sufficient to call it a shroud.

Back