• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IX38 new build noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UndredKlocked

Registered
Wow its been a log time since i have been here, but I wanted to ask cause this is my first SLI setup. I was picking up a q6600 hopefully the correct stepping, and a Abit IX38, I am gonna pick up also 2 leadtek px8000 GT GTB, which is I hoping the GT extreme.

Either way the question here is the ABIT says its for Crossfire setup is this just a attempt at branding, I belive i will have no problems with a SLI setup, just wanted make sure i didnt have to buy a board that specificly said SLI compatible on it?

And if I plan on overclocking this chip with this board any recommendations on memory? Type, speed, specs...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814122046&Tpk=px8800

thanks for the quick response, any recommendations on a great overclocking board that will support a q6600, and SLI. That is equivalent to this board in stability and features?

you will have to buy a board with a nvidia chipset. My understanding is due to some issue between nvidia and intel they will not allow it. I have heard you can do a bios hack and make it run sli and that the board is capable of it but who wants to do that with new stuff. I found one for the 7000 series cards but the one for the 8000 series was in the works. I just built a new system about two weeks ago and went through all this. At the time I could not find a nvida chipset board that supported pcie 2.o so I ended up just getting the x38 and using 1 card. Besides the video card pulls ram from your system some how or another so you run two cards thats even more ram gone.

Back