• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to buy TECs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Question then. What wattage peltier would you put on a q6600? Nothing to extreme plz.

for an over clocked one... at least a 250 watt tec I believe. If you want low temps. You also need a cold plate for your processor, insulation, hotplate maybe, etc.

for an over clocked one... at least a 250 watt tec I believe. If you want low temps. You also need a cold plate for your processor, insulation, hotplate maybe, etc.

+1 on the 250w .. obviously would have to be under water.

cold plates seem to be the hardest thing to get hold of. Im having real trouble getting any in the UK.

Insulation is a must... neoprene is your friend. there are quite a few insulation guides out there, im sure a quick google will get them.

Anyone ever try hooking a peltier up with a reheostat to "throttle" it so to speak?

Anyone ever try hooking a peltier up with a reheostat to "throttle" it so to speak?
You could, but remember the wattage you are dealing with. Rheostats that large are in the $100 range. That is unless you use a custom made PWM controller :)

I really wouldnt advise using one with air cooling.. unless its a low wattage one but then it would have to be on a low wattage CPU which im guessing it wouldnt be if its being OCd

why couldnt you use air cooling? im a little new to this so bear with me, a TEC is the same thing as a peltier cooler right? which essentially uses electric current to force a heat flux against the temperature gradient. making one side hot and one side cold. so why do you need to cool the hot side? will it fry itself? or just heat soak back to the cold side?

also when you talk of the wattage of the TEC, are you referring to electrical power draw or thermal power?

why couldnt you use air cooling? im a little new to this so bear with me, a TEC is the same thing as a peltier cooler right? which essentially uses electric current to force a heat flux against the temperature gradient. making one side hot and one side cold. so why do you need to cool the hot side? will it fry itself? or just heat soak back to the cold side?
TEC/pelts are heat pumps. They do not "absorb" energy, they move it. You must cool the hot side or it will will fail quickly.

also when you talk of the wattage of the TEC, are you referring to electrical power draw or thermal power?

The deltaT, or difference in temperature, is a set number, usually around 60 degrees, so if one side is at 100, then the other is (at ideal conditions) at 40, but if the hot side is at 60, then the cold side is at 0. There are some other things that play into effect, but basically you'll end up pumping heat INTO your processor, not a good idea.

so if my [email protected] can be cooled by air cooling, why couldn't you sandwhich the pelt and keep the current heatsink? id assume the pelt would create higher temps on the hot side to keep the temps lower than the cpu side? how do you know if the pelt gets too hot on the hot side, as in how do you monitor the temps of the pelts hot side since the only temp sensor is on the cpu side?

also how cold does the cold side get? with a running proc on it.

Unless you get a huge pelt, any overclock on a q6600 will quickly use up the heat it can displace. And with to get those clocks on air, I assume you have heat pipes in your heatsink, which run at ~1/80 (it depends on the HS) of the efficiency. So to cool a modern proccessor with a pelt properly, you'll need a large pelt (not initially expensive, but eats power like no other) and a decent watercooling setup. How cold the cold side gets depends on how much heat youre putting out, and how much you can take off the hot side.

so im really starting to think pelts are worthless and just suck up power. maybe i have the wrong impression.

take my situation for example. what are some typical temps for a q6600 with a pelt under water. i know you cant give me an exact number, but whats typical/average/ with a decent water cooling loop on top of it? what would happen to temps if i just stuck a air cooler on top (zalman 9700, true120, etc). im still a little confused by all this.

Back