• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeCrypt

Hi, i know there are a lot of post on this subject, but i couldnt find one that quite fit me, or answered all my questions.

So im building a new computer and i have just about all the pieces at home cept the mobo (smart move right ;) ). Specs:
Antec 900
EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS KO Edition 512 MB
Intel Q6600
Zalman CNPS9700LED Ultra Quiet
Western Digital WD5000KSRTL Caviar 500 GB
Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W
Creative Labs PCIE Sound Blaster X-Fi 70SB088600002 Titanium FATAL1TY Pro
Logitech Z-5500
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Corsair Dominator 2X2GB Kit PC2-8500 1066MHz DDR2 (TWIN2X2048-8500C5D)
SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22"

I am looking for an amazing Mobo (150-250 dollars) for overclocking (would like to clock Q6600 to 3.6) and gaming (i know the mobo doesnt affect the gaming much, but just wanted to put that out there). im not very experienced in overclocking, but i would like to start!

so far i have been looking at the GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128336), and the DFI LP LT X48-T2R (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136046). anyone know if those 2 are any good? or do you have other suggestions? the only reason i havent bought the DFI is because all the hard bios settings w/ no support, and i dont really know how to overclock. i also havent done enought research on the Gigabyte...

i would prefer the Intel x38 and x48 chipsets, but i would also like to know about the 780i's and 680i's? (ive been very scared of getting these boards cuz of all the problems, and dont wanna risk 200 dollars, plus im not gonna use SLI so whats the point...? do all of them have the problems, or just some?)

thank you for your help in advance! :D

If you are not going to use sli I would save your money and not buy the 700 or 600 series motherboards, they all have sli. The 700 series I believe offers the pci 2.0 while the 600 series offer 1.0.
The DFI MB IMO is a hgh quality board but could be intimidating to the first time overclocker (i shyed away from that board as well :) )
Maybe for a MB Asus P5E, seems to be within your price range and it comes with an audio card that I have read is very good.
I'm waiting for my Asus P5Q deluxe ;)
As far as Gigabyte I see alot of guys seem to have luck with them but I think Asus, DFI and Abit are better quality boards, that is just my opinion.
Whatever board you choose I wish you good luck and I hope I was able to help.

an asus, gigabyte or abit would be ideal to start wtih. it's going to come down to what features you want (on the I/O panel and kinds/numbers of pci slots etc...). P45 could be good.. Asus P5Q or Gigabyte GA-EP45 varieties. X38/X48 are going to use all your budget. if that's ok, I'd still look at the same three makers.

i like to use newegg for sorting a list based on "best rating". it's not perfect, but it's pretty close to revealing the sentiments of the public here. go browse that list and pick the one that has the features you want. go browse the threads specific to those mobos here, at xtremesystems and hardforums. dig around and you'll find all kinds of reviews. that's more or less how i do my research.

Back