• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

voltage overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beldade

can anyone tell me how to change the cpu voltage to an higher number in a dfi ca64-tc with a celeron 900mhz at 990mhz (110mhz*10), what can i do to have a better value than tose 990Mhz. and with this simple change the cpu is at 55C after some hours of work.which fan do you think is better to have the best performance in overclocking?thanks

Welcome to the forums! We are glad to have you.

First off, you're going to need some seriously better cooling. 55C is EXTREMELY too hot and I personally would back off your current overclock, even though modest, until I got better cooling. As far as what to get, there are many very capable of doing the job. ThermalRight's SK6, the Millenium Glaciator I or II, many Alphas to chose from and on and on. The Millenium Glaciator I or II are probably about the best quiet fan option for you and both are at a good price. Little Arctic Silver II thermal compound to help seal the junction between heat sink and CPU die would be good too. Just make sure you're using some sort of thermal compound.

As far as changing the voltage, that option is either in your BIOS setup or it is possible your board has jumpers or dip switches to set it. Your manual should indicate what you have, if any of them. If you do not have voltage adjustments in any of these places, your board is not capable of it.

Don't be dismayed though. There is a way to get more out of your chip through a quick modification. Doesn't require much more than a steady hand and good eyesite. Go here to learn how to do the VID pin mod to your chip. It's not at all hard to do and am currently running a Celly 600@900 and a PIII 700@933 using this trick to get over 2V through my chips. I do NOT recommend using 2V, however. You can quickly burn it up. At your current temps, I would almost guarantee a dead chip for you if you decide to do it anyway...GET BETTER COOLING!

Good luck with your project and once again, welcome!

Welcome to the forums

I think you should get a better cooler first before upping CV (which can only be done by VID wiring the CPU on your mobo).

With the new cooler I'm pretty sure you can squeeze out a few more MHz w/o upping CV.

I would suggest you buy (or steal:p j/k) a Millennium Glaciator II, cuz your temps are on the limit for a stable system, actually my system doesn't like those temps at all.

BTW: do you know enough about OCing and the risks that come with it?

And don't be afraid to ask, cuz there are NO dumb questions, except the ones NOT being asked.

Ah crap Jon:p I was D/Ling his manual to see if there was a way to adjust CV, and in the meanwhile you were typing........ITS NOT FAIR:D

i've read those things about vid (etc...)and i still don't get how to do that....besides soldering that how can i do "that" other way?

I took a piece of speaker wire and removed a single strand from it. I then wrapped the VID pin to the VSS pin that gave me 2V.

Just make a small loop big enough to go over the two pins and then tighten and twist them together. If you need to wrap 3 pins you'll need to use two pieces of wire and wrap two at a time.

Just study the diagram and you'll figure it out.

but in tose page they say that originally the celeron goes about 1.5v and mine goes 1.75v by default, so the vid 2 is also open in my computer, isn't it?should i do those things but just add on 0,25v?
my celeron is now 30C...

Doesn't matter what the default is...in their example they were using a cB0 stepping chip which actually has fewer options for the VID pinning. Yours is either a cC0 or cD0 so you just follow the diagram of what to wrap after the listing for 1.75V.

For 1.8V you would wrap VID 1 and VID 3 to Vss.
For 1.85V you would wrap VIDs 0,1 and 3 to Vss.
For 1.9V you would wrap VID 2 and VID 3 to Vss.

So on, so forth...

For the 900 Celeron (cDO 1.75v) I would suggest VID2 to VID3 for 1.90v, just because the pins are right next to each other. There is an easier way than wrapping wires around the cpu pins. Just take a piece of wire and connect the corresponding holes in the socket. Make sure you get your cpu temps down first!

the problem is that it is very difficult o connect them because it's very small....

Back