• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer - Random BSODs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tower

Hi!

This will be my first (but probably not last) post here.

I recieved my new computer last Thursday, and ever since I´ve been experiencing BSODs in Windows. There seems to be no obvious trigger, it happens when running programs, playing games, installing software or even just browsing the web.

I´ll give you some specs here:

Motherboad: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940 3,0 GHZ
CPU Cooling: OCZ Vendetta II
Memory: 2*2048 MB Corsair XMS2 6400
GPU: ATI Radeon 4870 1 GB
System drive: 30GB SSD OCZ Vertex
Storage drive: 640GB WD Green
PSU: Corsair 650W PSU CMPSU-TXEU

CPU-temp right now is 47 degrees, and this is after running prime 95 with small FFT for 20 mins. GPU is at 52 degrees.

When the BSODs started, I proceeded by resetting CMOS, reloading BIOS defaults and reinstalling Win XP. But no difference.

Today I´ve been running Memtest86+ test 9, and it made two passes with no errors. Also did one pass with default tests, which also passed without errors.

However, when running Prime 95 torture test in blend mode, the workers fail within 2 minutes, regardless of running with 1 or 4 threads. Running in Small FFT mode seems to be no problem at all.

Yesterday I tried using just one memory stick, but once again got the BSOD when browsing the web.

I honestly have no clue how to move on from here... Is there something else I can try? Hope someone can shed some light on the situation.

If I helps, I can provide some minidumps from the BSODs, but to me they look completly random...

I have a feeling it is memory based since Small FFT "passes" and Blend fails. Be sure to check the timings and *manually* set the voltage for the RAM.

The timings are at stock right now, 5-5-5-18 and the voltage is at auto. PC health in BIOS reports 1.968V DDR2 Voltage.

What timings and voltage would you recommend trying?

I have a feeling it is memory based since Small FFT "passes" and Blend fails. Be sure to check the timings and *manually* set the voltage for the RAM.

Tower,

Thideras has a good point. My DFI board does not set RAM voltage according to the sticks installed, I have to set that manually too. My default MB voltage is ~1.85 - 1.9 volts and I need 2.0 - 2.1 which is default for these Gskills. I get the same as you do @ 1.9v.

Tower,

Thideras has a good point. My DFI board does not set RAM voltage according to the sticks installed, I have to set that manually too. My default MB voltage is ~1.85 - 1.9 volts and I need 2.0 - 2.1 which is default for these Gskills. I get the same as you do @ 1.9v.

Tried upping the volts to 2.1V now, but the Prime 95 blend test still fails within 5 minutes...

Guess I´ll have to adjust timings aswell, but to what?
Been sooo long since I last did this I don´t even know if I should turn them up or down...

Make sure they are the rated timings, if they cant run them then at rated voltages then I would consider returning them, after contacting Corsair.

Make sure they are the rated timings, if they cant run them then at rated voltages then I would consider returning them, after contacting Corsair.

After consulting Corsairs homepage I´m somewhat confused. Some models are listed as "Kit" while some are not. Mine are among those that are not, CM2X2048-6400C5. Strange then that I could buy them in a kit here in Sweden... I guess it´s safe to say that the specs for CM2X2048-6400C5 apply for one memory stick only.

I tried changing the timings from 5-5-5-18 to 6-6-6-18, and it works like a charm. Been running Prime 95 blend test for 1 hour with 4 threads, and still no error. I´ll probably drop a mail to Corsair anyway, asking them what the recommended voltages and timings are when running CM2X2048-6400C5 in dual channel mode.

Have you tried running them as a pair at stock timings and voltage in single channel mode? For some reason Gigabyte is turning out boards these days that are having trouble in dual channel mode. I have one and I've been reading the same on various boards and customer reviews on NewEgg. My is utterly unstable in dual channel but just fine in single channel, though I have a 780G-based Gigabyte board.

Have you tried running them as a pair at stock timings and voltage in single channel mode? For some reason Gigabyte is turning out boards these days that are having trouble in dual channel mode. I have one and I've been reading the same on various boards and customer reviews on NewEgg. My is utterly unstable in dual channel but just fine in single channel, though I have a 780G-based Gigabyte board.

I actually tried running with only one stick last saturday with default volts and timings, but still got a BSOD. Got a reply from Corsairs product expert yesterday who wanted me to RMA the sticks since I couldn´t get them to work properly with spec timings.

Have you tried increasing NB voltage yet? Blend test is really heavy on the northbridge too, try increasing that first, it should be memory related.

Have you tried increasing NB voltage yet? Blend test is really heavy on the northbridge too, try increasing that first, it should be memory related.

No I haven´t, but running the blend test with stock settings on memory was just a fast way of telling if the system was stable or not. I´ve been getting ALOT of BSODs with stock setting, sometimes when just idling...

any dll`s, EXE or drivers to blamed in the BSOD?
I was poking at my gigabyte board for about a week thinking ram and voltages, turned out to be the NIC driver for the onboard LAN.
had to get the new version from the gigabyte site because the windows update version wipes the LAN out.

details on the BSOD first and blame later is my religous approach now.

Back