• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mismatched Ram Timing problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shohag2018

Registered
I have two sticks of 2GB 800 bus rams. One times 6-6-6-18 another 5-5-5-15.. now in order to run them, i have two options-

1. Run them both @ 5-5-5-15, but that will make them run at 667 MHz (my motherboard sets it auto,if not manually set otherwise)
or,
2. Run them at 6-6-6-18, downtiming one ram thats capable of running at 5-5-5-15 (currently running in this mode)

now, i need to know which is better in terms of stability?
the reason im asking this qus is i got some pc hangups (event logger says, kernel power error event 41) since i got windows 7 and these rams,and had to hard reboot(i was running XP and 2GB 800mhz before without any problems). Im a bit anxious about it..need to know whats causing it..Rams or the OS? one thing is common though, everytime(more or less) my pc hanged was sometime after waking up from a sleep mode..i have played games on my system plainly for hours after normal boot without problem. So ...long story short...what do u guys think is my problem? the Rams? timings? or the windows 7 x64?

Post your complete system spec's, including links to your specific RAM modules. Also post pic's of the SPD tab in CPU-Z showing the timings for each of the two modules at DDR2-800, and another open to the Memory tab showing current timings and FSB : DRAM ratio. You might also want to post another pic. w/ it open to the CPU tab, so we can see what the current FSB, multiplier, and core speed are.

its never a good idea to mix and match memory modules but i would say your best chance of survival would be to run them both at the 6-6-6 timings.

Ram timing problem, help please?

Okay..here is my problem. I have two sticks of DDR2 800 mhz (one with 6-6-6-18 timing, another with 5-5-5-15) rams with different timings. now im having some stability problems.

When running in dual channel mode, my mobo sets them automatically to-

2r5848z.jpg

The separate timings of my rams are-

ram-1 with 6-6-6-18, 800mhz

301h8iv.jpg

ram-2 with 5-5-5-15, 800mhz

25qbsye.jpg

please note that its causing some stability problem, and also has set my bus freq to 667mhz.
now what my common sense tells me is to run it in 6-6-6-18 in the standard timing section, and set 3-3-6-52-3-5 in the advanced timing, and set the mem freq to 800mhz manually(by changing the mem freq multiplier) in order to get better stability.and also what should i do with the last thing- "static tREAD phase adjust" i cant set it to zero, lowest i can get to is 1 while running in dual channel.

What do u think?

Last edited:
What are the voltage specs of both sets of RAM? You want to run both at a voltage they can handle. Running them at the loosest timings is your best bet as well.

Back