• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help with LGA 1366 MB/RAM setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radi4fun

Hi guys, i need help choosing the right motherboard/ram for my i7 920 CPU. Recently i've acquired a very nice golden i7 920 CPU. Batch# 3849B056, The max 24/7 stable LinX 20 passes was @ 198X21 = 4.15GHz 1.28125v in bios, 1.35v QPI, 1.86v PLL all on air cooling. I have about $400 to spend on a motherboard,RAM and water cooling parts for the board.

i'm thinking some DRR3 1600 should be good. I'm looking for a motherboard that will do 200+ BLCK with out any problem since i will be putting the cpu under water and see if i can try and get 4.3-4.4GHz stable. I'm also thinking of putting the NB/SB and mosfets on water as well.

current system specs:

CPU: i7 920 Batch# 3849B056
Motherboard: ?????
RAM: ?????
GFX Card: Sapphire Vapor-X 4870 512MB
HDD: 2x Intel X-25m G2 80GB hdd's. not sure if i should do raid 0 or get 2x Vertex and do raid 0 for Trim/G.C. or just stick with 1 ssd.
CASE: Corsair 800D or Mountain Mod (can't decide on one :( )
PSU: Enermax Revolution 1050W PSU
Monitor: some 32-42" LED TV

Watercooling:

Pump/Top: DDC 3.2 pump with the EK top that is hooked up to a big 400mm EK res
Rad: XSPC RX240 and RX360. only going to use one, unless i can fit both in the case with ought modification.
CPU Block: Thinking of going with the Swiftech XT or the new EK Supreme HF w/ plexi top for the looks :)
Fittings/Tubing: some BP compression fittings, either the black or the pure silver ones. to go with 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing.
MOSFETS/ NB/SB Blocks: ????? don't know yet, depends on the MB

so there are all of my specs, can you guys please help me choose a good motherboard that is easy to work with? i'd want to say a way from DFI as they have very confusing bios and i'll get lost in it. I'd go with EVGA as i like the black look of the boards, but they only do SLI no ATi, so i don't know if my 4870 will work. and plus nVidia cards are always overpriced.

Thanks,
radi4fun

I like EVGA as well, plus they're pretty local in case you need to RMA.

As far as Crossfire, it works on the EVGA X58 motherboards.

They also make waterblocks for the X58 mobos by EVGA themselves.

I was able to grab a Rampage II Extreme for $190 shipped :) not i'll just need to get me some ram to go along with it, and since i'll have a few extra $$$ left over after the RAM, should i spend the extra money on the Koolance X58 waterblock for the board and for the mosfets as well? i'm excited about the RIIE.

Back