• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The UP button?? Win 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i actually payed with the classic shell settings and your right you can make the buttons bigger and get rid of unecessary buttons. The old copy and replace UI is an added bonus... definietly keeping this.

Btw how does classic explorer shell work, is it a background program or just a coupla tweeks?

I have always just used to back button on my mouse. I guess I am just lucky that I started using something that wasn't going to be removed in future Windows. Yay for me!

Not disputing you're a lucky fellow, but back button is present in Windows 7. We're talking about the UP button and other custom buttons which are not included in Windows 7 and Vista but are in Windows XP and earlier.

Great news about the program, the author posted further planned enhancements in the upcoming new version from custom icon size to custom icons themselves and he's removing the Settings button in favor of other ways of accessing settings now so that should make the other poster in this thread happy ;).

Must commend the author for being so responsive to user requests.

I have always just used to back button on my mouse. I guess I am just lucky that I started using something that wasn't going to be removed in future Windows. Yay for me!

problem with the back button is it doesnt go up just back... so say you were in a folder, went up a level then back down a level... if you hit back twice you will be in the original folder you started in... not up two levels.

EDIT... btw he just came out with 0.9.9 two hours ago... this guy is on top of things!

Version 0.9.9 release candidate (Jan, 2010) - more new features:

- The skins in the start menu can have variations

- Added ini files that contain even more customization options for the Explorer
toolbar and the start menu, including options to completely redesign the
start menu

- Added "New Folder" and "Auto Arrange" commands to the start menu

- The selected menu item fades out like in a real menu

- Added "Email" button to Explorer

- First try to support Active Accessibility (disabled by default for now)

Last edited:
I can't stand not having W7's new sub-folder structure! To me, it makes much more sense and is quicker (you can go "up" as many levels as you can see in the address bar). Some people don't really understand how it works - you can either click on the "Triangle" to get a pull down heirchy, or you can click on the folder name and it takes you to that root folder instantly ("Instant Up" :) . Some people miss both ways to use this new feature (not that anyone in our community would miss that :p )

I agree options are nice, but in this case progression is better from this end-user's experience. XP is starting to feel really old to me...

:cool:

It's useful no doubt. But we're looking for a combo to give us joy of gettin' things done in 0.01 seconds...

The author was explaining it to me, but I just could not understand why he couldn't put in the button that simulates a custom keyboard key...

The possibilities would be numerous. F5 for Refresh, CTRL+Z for Undo....

Hitting "up" 3x on XP is slower than simply clicking the 3rd folder in the heirchy once in W7, no? Just trying to grasp how W7 is slower in this regard? I know if you have terribly long folder names and you have a smaller Exporer window, then you might not see many folders listed (address bar space concerns) - is that the main gripe?

Just curious :)

Hitting "up" 3x on XP is slower than simply clicking the 3rd folder in the heirchy once in W7, no? Just trying to grasp how W7 is slower in this regard? I know if you have terribly long folder names and you have a smaller Exporer window, then you might not see many folders listed (address bar space concerns) - is that the main gripe?

no its the whole processing time in the brain... ok i want to go back 3 folders.... ok now lets see, theres folder one, folder two ok folder three in the address bar click.... vs ok i want to go back 3 folders... click click click.

Goth'ca. I guess I don't experience that slowdown unless my folder names are needlessly long :) I can view this as "up 3 folders" or I can look at this as "I want to be in 'X' folder" by name. It is amazing the different ways Humans' brains work, no?

Goth'ca. I guess I don't experience that slowdown unless my folder names are needlessly long :) I can view this as "up 3 folders" or I can look at this as "I want to be in 'X' folder" by name. It is amazing the different ways Humans' brains work, no?

oh ya for sure... i have become acoustomed to the breadcrumbs trail its nice but every now and then i revert back to xp mode and go up button??? where is it ohhh wait this is win 7.

Hitting "up" 3x on XP is slower than simply clicking the 3rd folder in the hierarchy once in W7, no?

It depends on how big your Up button is :) ↓. But mostly it's because it's not used for 3x, we use it for 1x. And when it's huge and always in the same place, it's when that "anything slower than 0.01 seconds is unacceptable" philosophy kicks in for us.

You have to READ Windows 7. We don't read the Up button. We can do it blindfolded. This is about business and getting her done with lightning speed. That's what Windows XP gives us and Windows 7 does not.

Attachments

• UpButton.jpg
    UpButton.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 224
there is a button you can purchase called the "mavis up button" which is 5$ rofl... but it fits in very nicely with the win7 style back/forward buttons.

OMFG thats EXACTLY what i want! Perfect integration! ... 5 bucks tho hmm may have to do a lil searching round the net when my 5 day trial is up :beer:

Well hang on, I haven't tested it yet but I asked the author and he implemented
• The Explorer toolbar can be customized with new icons and additional buttons.

This means we can have that green arrow button for up if we want theoretically with Classic Shell. I'll test it.

Well hang on, I haven't tested it yet but I asked the author and he implemented
• The Explorer toolbar can be customized with new icons and additional buttons.

This means we can have that green arrow button for up if we want theoretically with Classic Shell. I'll test it.

yes well it still wouldnt be in the right place... the mavis button looks like it should be there.

If Mavis can get that button in there, then perhaps the author of Classic Shell can to.

I'll suggest this + other things to him when I finish testing the current version now. I'm having trouble figuring out how to modify the UP icon, I was going to see if I can set it to have something similar to the Mavis Up icon...

Back