• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The UP button?? Win 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK i have looked across the net havnt really found any thing definitive. Is there anyway in Win 7 to get the old xp up level a folder button back. I know theres the bread crumb thing but that up button was so easy to use and just wasnt confusing haha.

Yeah, I'm with you on that nd4! Over all I like 7, but crap like this is something that gets me mad about it. Why the hell did they have to try to reinvent the wheel on a feature that is easy to use, familiar and works well?:shrug:

Heh. I am in Windows XP *right now* in large part because there's no UP button in Windows 7, I feel your pain! :)

I'll reboot into 7 to test that link.

Last edited:
You're right, that's the reasoning MS developers probably used for eliminating the UP and other buttons as options. A small but significant portion of old users would like to have the button still, if for no other reason then because they're so used to it.

Last edited:
Why can't you just click the parent folder in the address bar?

you can but to think ok i want to go back 3 folders, then have to figure out ok, either whats the name of that folder or take the second or two to visually go back on the breadcrumbs trail 3 folders takes FAR more times than 3 quick clicks of a single button.

↑ yup. Spoken like a true speed user. :thup:

You know how some people can type without looking at their keyboard and just type almost faster than we can actually read? That's how some of us use the computer and Windows 7 has slowed us down tremendously.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Brings back several old classic features including start menus and the older xp UP button. Haven't downloaded so not sure if you can enable just that.

Hope you like.

Just tested it. First of all, thank you kindly poster!

This thing enables Windows 7 status bar showing the size of files in any folder you go to, it displays it in lower right corner just like Windows XP did: Finally!! This was on the list of reasons I hated booting into Windows 7. Taken care of now, thanks!

Attachments

• CornerFileSize.jpg
    CornerFileSize.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
that solution works, but placement of the up button is meh and it comes with tons of other buttons. grrrr!

You can disable other buttons, Custom install then UNCHECK Classic Start Menu.

You'll be left with the Up button, plus the Settings button. You can move them elsewhere if you right click > unlock the toolbars

Attachments

• ClassicShell2.jpg
    ClassicShell2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Windows 7 vs. XP :shrug:

Attachments

• ClassicShell1.jpg
    ClassicShell1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 374
  • ClassicShell0.jpg
    ClassicShell0.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 377
Just tested it. Fist of all, thank you kindly poster!

This thing enables Windows 7 status bar showing the size of files in any folder you go to, it displays it in lower right corner just like Windows XP did: Finally!! This was on the list of reasons I hated booting into Windows 7. Taken care of now, thanks!

No problem.

My initial impressions, I asked the author the following: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/shell/classicshell.aspx?msg=3334950#xx3334950xx

Classic Menu Favorites links are auto alphabetized instead of getting the user's order info from
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites

Can we please make the Favorites get the order in which Favorites links are displayed from that reg key?

Can we have an option to add text under buttons and to be able to set the order in which custom buttons appear?
Can we add Refresh and Undo buttons? Can there be a Favorites button that displays Favorites links in Explorer when you click on it?

Can there be an option to disable the program's Settings button from appearing alongside other buttons?

I just wish there was a big up button next to the forward and back buttons... its hard to hit such a small little button

Yes! Yes. I could not agree more.

I just asked the author about having that as an option in future builds.

Holy smokes look what else it has. No more "hmmmmmm..... let's see here....." copy user Interface which the new Windows Vista and 7 Copy UI brought us.

Now we can can go back to doing business in a 100th of a second just like we used to do:

Attachments

• CopyUI.jpg
    CopyUI.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
I missed this at first, but once I got used to clicking the address bar I like it much better. The new way requires less clicks so it is faster when you are going back more than 1 folder.

...which is why it should remain as the default feature for all users.

But they did not have to nuke the UP and other buttons for those of us that can work faster with them... Restoring *options* for them is what this is all about.

Back