• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 1700+ Pally Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishakir

Hello guys,

I built my uncle a system a while back and it had an ECS motherboard, generic RAM, retail cooling, and an AMD Athlon 1700+ chip. As you can see this was an extremely budget system :). Anyways, now that he has had it for about a year, he's getting problems with it. Windows refuses to get past the loading screen at startup. After restarting a couple of times, it will finally load windows. I looked at the health in BIOS and found the temps hovering around 51C! (they were around 33C when I built and tested it). Any help would be great.

Thanks
-Ish-

ColtIce said:
how did you get temps so low w/stock hsf mine hover about 47 48 as much as 60 after more than a hour of prime95

A) It was winter
B) My memory might be a bit foggy since I've built quite a few systems since then

I'm guessing that option B is more correct :)

Anyways, anyone know why this happens? Could it be attributed to the high temps? Haven't really had any hands on time with the computer yet, so I'm kinda trying to go in with some ideas of what could be wrong. Oh, he also complained of suddenly losing video signal sometimes and random reboots.

Thanks again,
-Ish-

When it boots into Windows, does it operate or freeze? If it freezes, it may very well be the heat.

You could always try formatting assumign your Windows could be corrupt after a year if you had it installed for all that time.

Yodums said:
You could always try formatting assumign your Windows could be corrupt after a year if you had it installed for all that time.

This is my first suspicion as well, if you get 3 months from a windows install you're doing great! lol

Back