• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

enough to upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stopdrpnro

hey guys i'm having a hard time deciding whether or not it's woth upgrading. Now i have a gigabyte ga-7dxr+ w/ a athlon xp+1600@ 1533mhz and 256mb of cheapo ram. i'm pretty sure the ram is holding me to a fsb of 146mhz.anyway i was lookin trough new egg's refurbs and saw a msi kt33 ultra2 for pretty cheap and the new tbred 1800+. i know the new chip make great ocers but i still have that cheapo ram so my highest overclock i could get would be 12.5 x 146 =1825. do u guys thing it's worth the $130+ it woudl cost to get the new mobo+cpu if i wanted to keep the ram i already have ?

maybe the mobo cause its probably like 30 or 40 bucks right, but then you could spend teh remaining 100 on 256 mb of corsair XMS3200 and get better performance through overclocking i think , if you have sufficient cooling
what stepping is your 1600 though

my cpu is the agioga stepping and i have a volcano 7 heatsink w/ a 3k rpm 80mm fan on it . is there a way on that mobo(or any mobo) to run the memory slower than the fsb?

Back