• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800np & infineon ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compliance20

ive started to overclock my radeon 9800np, and i was wondering what some people have achevied with the infineon ram....i know its not great but im just wondering what a should shoot for. right now im at 400core/ 315vram....any thing over that i get some major artifacts.

Mine also maxes out at about 315 RAM speed.

I haven't flashed to a 9800PRO bios, and I'm a bit concerned the default memory speed settings for a 9800PRO might leave me with a dead card. The PRO bios may up the voltage to the RAM, but I've only heard rumors of this. I haven't heard of anyone actually doing measurements.

Hey, thats a good idea. Get someone to actually take the measurements. It would be like an overclockers.com-project.

Cant you flash it to a pro, and if It doesnt work, just flash it back to the non pro?

If you flash it to a Pro bios then the ram will run at 340 mhz default and artifact so bad you probably won't be able to read the screen. Very bad idea. There are ways to mod a bios and change the stock speeds, but I doubt its easy or worth the trouble.

There is an overclocking program that will allow you to play with ram latency and some people claim that helps with infinion ram, but not by much.

Sorry to here you got the infinion stuff, but I agree the card still kick butt over 99% of other vid cards on the market when you can clock the core to 400+

You can, but you will need a PCI video card if you can't read the screen due to artifacting and that is a REAL pain in the ***.

If ram is limited to 315, I wouldn't take the chance with a flash, rather I'd play with latency which is what the bios flash is suposed to do anyway.

You guys have the 3.3 nanosecond ram and not the 2.8 so the max you can except to get is about 320 but to even get that high you need to bring the core speed sown to about 380mhz. Only the 9800np with the 2.8ns ram will get above 320

amdmadman said:
You guys have the 3.3 nanosecond ram and not the 2.8 so the max you can except to get is about 320 but to even get that high you need to bring the core speed sown to about 380mhz. Only the 9800np with the 2.8ns ram will get above 320

That is untrue. 'You guys' have 3.0 ns Infineon ram. Most people who get 3.3 ns Samsung ram are getting a lot better overclocks. Most of them around 345, and after a Pro bios flash, they often get up to around 360.

2.8ns Ram is NOT the only ram that will get above 320:rolleyes:

Back