• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP - an AMD Athlon 900 doesn't run on my MOBO unless it ios clocked at 800Mhz ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seifer X

HELP - an AMD Athlon 900 doesn't run on my MOBO unless it ios clocked at 800Mhz ?

My friend's Athlon 900 refuses to run steadily on his board - ( locks up in 10 min )
unless it is reduced to 800
( further more - the booklet whic came with the CPU reads AMD Athlon 950 Mhz )
he has 256 MB - 133 and his mobo is a k something from ASUS
does anyone know of this something?
thanks in advance

But the bios does detect the CPU as 900?
If it does, check your voltage..It should be at least 1.8 V
If this doesnt help, what do temperatures say?
It sounds to me, as if this lockup could also be caused by heat.
Last suggestion...set your Ram settings to the lowest possible speeds and see if this solves your problem.
Good luck

well - he says the his monitoring software provided by the mobo indicates temp's of more than 55Cel - is this ok?
his booklet says that in 900 Mhz it suppose to be somewhere around 45..

his coolong consists of regular small fan on the CPU ( came with it )
and his case extra fan coling ( regula Full Tower system )

is this enough?
should he keep on runnig with these temps? ( not to mention the 10% decrease he is already in )
thanks - please help if you can...

The monitoring software that comes with ASUS motherboards is well known for reading about 10 C high. To verify reboot to BIOS and compare the readings. You are probably running around 45 C actually.
What is the power supply rating in watts... 250W is considered to be minimal for a Athlon and 300W or higher is highly recommended. :)

thanks huys - i'll try.
though - i believe he has 300 watt ( this is a towr case after all - and about the software i'll see )
any way - lowering other stuff that you've mentioned - will it need decrease overall performance in a way that isn't worth the doing?
any way i'll keep you updated - tanx

The Temps are ok, but cooler wouldn't hurt. Are these idle temps or temps taken when the CPU is fully loaded? I would definately reccomend at least one more fan for the case, and probably a better HSF. Unless the computer was put together by a really nice person, the HSF may not be a great performer. Running with the sided(and top) off the case should drop the temps a little bit.

hy just updating this again - these are the readout from his board -
and what RPM should it be in?[img="http://"]

Back