• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer AMD FX 8350 Help needed with overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arathian

Registered
So my old computer was locked at 2.5 ghz because of "Chassis intruded Fatal error" I tryed everything but i couldn't Fix it.

p5kpl-cm mobo
Intel e5200 Dualcore 2.5ghz
2 GB Corsair ddr2 ram
PSU 650 Corsair
HIS ICEQ X 6850 HD

Because of the Chassis problem i decided to upgrade and i went with

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD970 SB950 AM3+ DDR3 PCI-E
CPU AMD FX 8350 8 CORE 4.0 ghz
DDR3 2x4 GB Corsair
ASUS DVD writer
Same GPU 6850

I have my CPU overclocked to 4.2 ghz just by changing the BCLK CLOCK CONTROL from 200.00 mhz to 210.00 mhz, The DRAM voltage was set and stock 1.5V so i turned it down to 1.329V (I hope thats ok?)
I have my HIS iceq X 6850 overclocked using AMD vision engine controll.

Im just wondering if there is other settings that i need to change?.. Also-

The other night i was playing Counter Strike Source and my FPS was constant between 950-1050 (Which was a first and was INSANE!)
I'm not sure how i did it??? :S But now it is back to what it was before....

I'm wondering if it would be Something i set with my GPU or CPU to get it constant or if it was the dx level i set in my Launch options
(I don't think it was my dx level, Because it didn't change on the next restart and playing the game)

Any help with Getting my FPS back to constant 950 or more would be awesome !!

Also,
I'm just wondering if any of you could help me find my stable limit for my GPU, And if my CPU is alright at 4.2 ghz Over Clocked?

Temp for GPU Doesn't rise over 60 so far when i had it near max Overclock and CPU temp doesn't rise over 50 with the 4.2 overclock and with stock cooler While in games, I have a EVO212 Cooler master Heat sink available to use if i need it ;D

I know its only a standard overclock and setup but from my old computer it is a HUGE upgrade lol and its awesome LOL.

P.S I'm Sorry if this is in the wrong section or for any typo's

Any help would be MUCH appreciated ^

DDR3 2x4 GB Corsair = That does not tell us the model of the ram so we have no idea what is the manufacturer recommended voltage. Most of the ram out today in the last 10mos is all 1.5Volt ram at DDR1600 rated speeds. So is lowering the ram votlage to 1.392V a good idea. Have no idea since we cannot look up any specs for the ram.

INSANE FPS = never heard anyone claim to have gotten such FPS. No idea what you mean when you say it is back to where it was before. No idea where it was before. If you have been messing with settings, maybe you need to set them back to where they were and INSANE may return again. No way to know.
RGone...

PS: Where are the mobo police when you need them? Hehehe.

Several things:
1. Why did you increase the fsb ("BCLK clock control") from 200 to 210 (which would have also increased the frequency of the ram) and then lower the ram voltage? If anything, you should have increased it a bit. Running components at higher than stock frequency usually suggests increasing their voltage supply.
2. Why did you overclock using the fsb rather than the core frequency multiplier? Your CPU is a black edition and has an unlocked core multiplier. Much simpler way of overclocking.
3. Your motherboard model does not have a very rugged power phase component and would likely start to throttle the CPU when it starts to work hard. The "UD3" version of that board would stand up to much more as far as overclocking.

Oh there is some new 1.35V DDR3 ram out and it is mostly ultra-low profile if they don't put wonky heat spreaders on them. But he does not say what ram he has.

By the way in some intel rigs some of the newer 1.35V ram will do DDR2800, but not much word on it in an AMD system.

Regardless we are far short of being on information overload. We are under-informed.
RGone...

PS: Thanks for the mobo police report.

DDR3 2x4 GB Corsair = That does not tell us the model of the ram so we have no idea what is the manufacturer recommended voltage. Most of the ram out today in the last 10mos is all 1.5Volt ram at DDR1600 rated speeds. So is lowering the ram votlage to 1.392V a good idea. Have no idea since we cannot look up any specs for the ram.

INSANE FPS = never heard anyone claim to have gotten such FPS. No idea what you mean when you say it is back to where it was before. No idea where it was before. If you have been messing with settings, maybe you need to set them back to where they were and INSANE may return again. No way to know.
RGone...

PS: Where are the mobo police when you need them? Hehehe.

ok coool at least i get a reply on this site. Corsair VENGEANCE 2X4 GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B is the model of ram.

Insane FPS (Im pretty noobie but i took that for FRAMES PER SECOND) Plz correct me if im wrong. It was 400-1050 FPS (MAX fps looking at a wall,) but something i did had it constant at 950 - 1050 FPS in game and now its back to 400-1050. I have messed with the easytuner6 and AMD vision but have Overclocked The cpu in bios instead of easytuner now and just want help with the settings in bios and the FPS thing.

Thanks to the guy that posted the first link to overclocking it has helped me alot so far.

Last edited:
Several things:
1. Why did you increase the fsb ("BCLK clock control") from 200 to 210 (which would have also increased the frequency of the ram) and then lower the ram voltage? If anything, you should have increased it a bit. Running components at higher than stock frequency usually suggests increasing their voltage supply.
2. Why did you overclock using the fsb rather than the core frequency multiplier? Your CPU is a black edition and has an unlocked core multiplier. Much simpler way of overclocking.
3. Your motherboard model does not have a very rugged power phase component and would likely start to throttle the CPU when it starts to work hard. The "UD3" version of that board would stand up to much more as far as overclocking.

Thank you that explains a fair bit to me and im sure will help me alot, Heaps of thanks for your reply and information !!!!

Can i ask, when you said 'increase your multiplier', Should i have left the fsb at 200.00 mhz and increased the multiplier instead of the fsb? And if so what core multiplier will it go to and how much could i overclock it with the stock cooler? Is the EVO212 cooler master heat sink of any use compared to the stock heat sink??

I am newbie as to overclocking im sorry. As for the Voltages i didn't know the DRAM was for the RAM i thought it was for the CPU, Also my cpu was hitting 51 degrees and i thought that it was hot so i wanted to decrease the temperature for it, What is the min unstable temperature for the AMD FX 8350?? That would help me incase when i check core temp it is above that min unstable limit.

I have felt that this computer just isn't putting out the performance that it should have in the last week, i am obviously doing something wrong :mad:

The UD3 version of the mother board? Is that a bios download? Could you send me a link or directions on how to download it?

If you or some one could give me the exact settings as in FSB (which i think you are saying to leave at 200.00 mhz) and CPU voltage, FRAM voltage for a 4.2 ghz overclock it would be soooooooo awesome. :D thanks.

Thank you SOO SOO much for you help so far it means alot.

Last edited:
Well...

Can i ask, when you said 'increase your multiplier', Should i have left the fsb at 200.00 mhz and increased the multiplier instead of the fsb? And if so what core multiplier will it go to and how much could i overclock it with the stock cooler? Is the EVO212 cooler master heat sink of any use compared to the stock heat sink??

I am newbie as to overclocking im sorry. As for the Voltages i didn't know the DRAM was for the RAM i thought it was for the CPU, Also my cpu was hitting 51 degrees and i thought that it was hot so i wanted to decrease the temperature for it, What is the min unstable temperature for the AMD FX 8350?? That would help me incase when i check core temp it is above that min unstable limit.
Sir you really do need to some reading in the tutorial link or similar. Some study and not just glancing and moving on is more like it. This is what those of us who try to help have DONE.

CPU voltage has CPU in the menu name some way. Not CPU_NB though. There is n0 minimum unstable temp. Some suggestions for Max temp though and they are when looking at HWMonitor (free) Some temp in the list of TMPINX that is linked to the cpu socket temp and should not exceed ~70c. Then there is the "package" temp which used to be called core temp and it should not exceed ~60c.

I have felt that this computer just isn't putting out the performance that it should have in the last week, i am obviously doing something wrong
Maybe and maybe not. With the current informtion in our hands there is little we can guess about.

The UD3 version of the mother board? Is that a bios download? Could you send me a link or directions on how to download it?
The model ending in UD3 is an "entirely" different and some better board for FX type processors and the high current and heat they use and put-off.

If you or some one could give me the exact settings as in FSB (which i think you are saying to leave at 200.00 mhz) and CPU voltage, FRAM voltage for a 4.2 ghz overclock it would be soooooooo awesome. thanks.
There are no one size fits all voltages for most modern systems. Without fail it mostly trial and error. The DRAM/RAM/MEMORY voltage is suggest to be the manufactures rated voltage plus add to it 0.05Volts. This only as general rule of thumb. CPU voltage is whatever it takes during testing without exceeding suggested temps.

RGone...

Generally speaking to suggest changes it is easier if we know certain things. Of course beginning with a setting that is 'known' to pass P95 Blend mode makes good sense, because a failed P95 Blend test is not going to give a baseline of a configuration that 'does' work.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.
Later versions of HWMonitore (free) now call the Core Temp by the name of "package" temp.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Thank you that explains a fair bit to me and im sure will help me alot, Heaps of thanks for your reply and information !!!!

Can i ask, when you said 'increase your multiplier', Should i have left the fsb at 200.00 mhz and increased the multiplier instead of the fsb? And if so what core multiplier will it go to and how much could i overclock it with the stock cooler? Is the EVO212 cooler master heat sink of any use compared to the stock heat sink?? Definitely but it's still not enough to allow for a high overclock. For good overclocking results on the high end FX CPUs we recommend water coolers like the Corsair H100i.

Yes, at this point in your experience level I would suggest you just use the core frequency multiplier to overclock and not complicate matters with manipulating the fsb. If you also want to increase the CPUNB frequency to improve memory performance you can adjust that separately.

The speed of the CPU is the product of the FSB frequency and the core speed multiplier. Stock FSB frequency is 200 mhz as you know by now. For example, if you have a CPU running at 3.6 ghz and the FSB is left at the stock 200 mhz then the multiplier would be 18x. 200x18=3600. If you wish to increase the CPU speed to 3800 mhz, then you would increase the multiplier to 19x. If you want to run it at 3900 mhz then you would set the mulitplier at 19.5x. By the way, in order to have access to all the overclocking tools you would need to take the main overclock control header off of "Auto" and put it on "Manual". Otherwise, somethings will be hidden. You would also need to disable Turbo Boost, Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6 and APM in bios to be able to have full manual overclock control. These are the "green" technologies that interfere with overclocking.

I am newbie as to overclocking im sorry. As for the Voltages i didn't know the DRAM was for the RAM i thought it was for the CPU, Also my cpu was hitting 51 degrees and i thought that it was hot so i wanted to decrease the temperature for it, What is the min unstable temperature for the AMD FX 8350?? About 60c for "package" temp and about 70c for CPU socket temps. That would help me incase when i check core temp it is above that min unstable limit.

I have felt that this computer just isn't putting out the performance that it should have in the last week, i am obviously doing something wrong :mad:

The UD3 version of the mother board? Is that a bios download? Could you send me a link or directions on how to download it? No, it's not a bios update. It's an entirely different board with better, sturdier electronic components.

If you or some one could give me the exact settings as in FSB (which i think you are saying to leave at 200.00 mhz) and CPU voltage, FRAM voltage for a 4.2 ghz overclock it would be soooooooo awesome. :D thanks.

We cannot give you exact settings. Every system is different. That's why its a system. You will need to experiment. Basically, open HWMonitor on your dektop and leave it open while you run 20 minute Prime95 blend tests to check for stability and temps. Increase the core speed multiplier by .5x increments and test for stability and temps after each increase. If you fail the test (blue screen, lockup, restart or Prime95 core workers drop out) then bump up the core voltage by .025. Monitor temps according to the limits I gave above. Unfortunately, since we must use generic terms like "core frequency multiplier" because we cannot see your bios and don't know what terms it employs for these things. If you would take some digital pics of the overclocking sections of your bios and attach them to a post then we could be more specific.

Thank you SOO SOO much for you help so far it means alot.

DRAM=Dynamic Random Access Memory.

For future reference, please attach your images directly to your posts (as RGone did in post #9) so we don't have to go to some Image Shack link. Make it as easy as possible on those trying to help you. There is a built in forum tool for doing this:

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Notice I said “crop” because we don't want a bunch of desktop real estate to be included in the pics because it just shrinks the relevant portions of the pic down so that the details become illegible. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics at a time but if you need more you can add more by going back into the edit mode of the post.

Sorry about the image shack picutres, With the other OverClocking site i could just browse my computer and put the pictures in...

And thanks for the advice about overclocking so far as well, Im just worryed because even with the multi at 21 and overclocked to 4.2ghz it still reach's 50-55 Degrees and im afraid i might Fry my brand new cpu.

I have a friend that is going to come check it out and help me this weekend.

Again thanks for your help and sorry about the image shack pic's....

At least you have both replyed and i have abit and can always refer back to this thread.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, I am sure different forums have different ways of doing things; their own culture you might say. I would not be as worried about frying the CPU as I would your motherboard. The temp limits we gave you refer to typical instability thresholds. "Safe" temps are still higher.

The main danger lies with your motherboard which only has 4+1 power phase components and no heat sinks on the mosfets if I'm not mistaken. With those high end FX CPUs you really should get a board with 8+2 power phase and nice sinks if you will be overclocking or pushing them hard even in a non-overclocked state.

And when you quote 50-55 degrees you do not specify whether this is package temp or CPU temp. "Package" temp refers to the temp of the processor cores themselves and "CPU" temp is generally used to speak of the temp of the motherboard socket area right around or below the processor. Both are important.

I am using Core Temp and i have it attached to my bottom task bar on desktop, When i alt tab out of Counter Strike Source or Counter Strike Global Offensive the 8 numbers are around 50-51, also when i ran a burn test with prime 95 for about 5-10 minutes they got upto 55 the hole time it was running.

I use gpu-z as well to monitor my gpu..

Is there other programs to monitor the temperature of my Mother Board and better one's for my gpu and cpu?

@Arathian, back in post #9 I gave you good large copies of the exact software we use and how to setup and run a baseline and post the results so that we actually could help you. The monitoring software is what we use in the forum.

You post bios captures linked by image shack and 'trents' explaned again that we much prefer attached images.

Appaerntly you have already got your mind made up as to how you are going to do things. Well do it your way then. You have a bud coming over to help you. That is okay too. As for CoreTemp >> keep it under approximately 60c and the cpu should be fine as most understand it.

As "trents" said the more critical component more likely to burn up is the motherboard from too much power drawn thru the VRM circuit. That idea has not reached you yet. You are still worried about cpu temps. The board itself is more likely to have an issue and if a board dies, the dieing of the board can take the cpu out with it.

Strongly 'suggest' you keep overclock of 8 core cpu to 4.2Ghz or less for the sake of the motherboard and then the cpu.

Now there it is all laid out for you. It is what it is. You seem only concerned with what CoreTemp reads so keep 60c or less. Otherwise you and your bud game on. Have a good one. Not much else to say really.
RGone...

An FYI. "Arathian" has PM'd me and I have typed out what we do in establishing a baseline to begin from in overclocking. I expect he will establish a baseline and post same when he finishes.
Salute. :thup:
RGone...

These were taken 15 minutes into a Prime95 Blend test, I stopped it there because i noticed the temp of the Mother Board (TMPIN1) was at its max i think ??

This is also with C1E / C6 / Tubrocore set to disabled and power management in Power Options set to performance.

I have pictures of the SPD and the Main Board here as well from cpu-z but i cant figure out how to attach them to this post -.- do i Go Advanced then remove these old photos from under the clip and insert the new photos?

Thank you for your reply's and help, I hope this is what you needed :clap:

Attachments

• HW.PNG
    HW.PNG
    34.3 KB · Views: 958
  • cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 971
  • mem.PNG
    mem.PNG
    16.1 KB · Views: 878
Last edited:
That's what we're looking for! You can only add 3 images at one time to a post.
Your socket temp is hitting 64 so still a bit of room. Have you done anything with the LLC. If it's on Autol you'll want to set it to manual at medium,and the voltage as well.but that's next If you notice your vcore will go from 1.368 to 1.38 so we'll want to see what voltage we can run at stock specifically . Since you're already nearing the threshold we need to see if we can open up some wiggle room!

Back