• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soyo Dragon 2 Platinum V-core issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morpherios

Registered
I have a Dragon 2 platinum motherboard as the title says, with a p4 3.0 800fsb proc. I currently have very low quality ram and am going to be buying some corsair memory in the near future to allow me to start overclocking my system. Last night my coworker brought his PC4000 OCZ ram to my place so we could throw it in my system just to get an idea how far my proc can go, just for curiosity's sake.

We both were impressed with the results. I did not test it long enough to guarantee stability, but I was able to fully boot and run 2 rotations of 3dmark2001 demo at 3.68 ghz, on air cooling without my temps becoming a problem. At 3.69 ghz it would boot to windows and as it was loading the sys tray stuff it'd bluescreen with an error, at 3.7 it would almost show the desktop and then bluescreen with the same problem.

Now the issue is, in the bios I was pumping my Vcore voltage to get my proc that high. My motherboard is not a very solid overclocker as I'm sure most of you know, the soyo boards have very limited options for overclocking. The maximum Vcore voltage I could set was 1.6. Problem is that even after setting it to 1.6, the voltages in the health monitor in the bios (and obviously any motherboard monitor I ran in windows) showed my vcore voltage bouncing from 1.52 to 1.55. Nothing I did would get that extra little bit up to 1.6, and it's bugging me because I'm wondering if that last little bit will give me enough to push 3.7, or at least guarantee stability of 3.68.

I have the newest bios from soyo. I dont know if this is just a misread on the motherboard's part, or if it's honestly not giving me the juice i'm asking for. I don't know if it matters but I have a very heavily loaded system, using 4 cards, 3 harddrives, a DVD-ROM, DVD Burner, and CDRW, along with 7 lighted 80 mm fans and a cold cathode. I'm running an Antec TrueBlue 480 watt power supply, so I don't know if I'm even overtaxing that. I'm just out of ideas, any suggestions?

Ok, well I tried killing some devices and that didn't do it, and if I set my vcore to any voltage, it seems it puts it a good .03 to .05 off of that voltage that I selected. This is strange.

Back