• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dualboot w/two drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

This could go in a couple different forums so I put it here.
I setup XP and 98se dual boot and use a nicklock hd switch to select which os to boot up with.So far it works nice on these 2 WD 80gig drives.It is doing something I didn't want though in that when I am on either os I don't want the other drive seen or have access to.When in xp I can see the 98 drive but when in 98 I can't see the xp drive.I have the switch jumpers in the slave jumper posts on the both drives (only way it will boot)and have the primary set to auto and secondary set to none in the bios per instructions.I want both drives totally independent of each other in the event one gets hosed by a virus or whatever the other will not be affected.As it is I have full access/control of the 98 drive when in xp.If I remove the drive letter from the 98 drive in xp so it will not see it would this prevent the 98 drive from being infected in the event the xp drive got a virus?

if you absolutely want the drive to dissapear from the other OS, make a little interruption in the power connector on both, then when you are ready to boot up, just give one HDD power and the other one not.

Maybe there is some better setting but win98 doesn't recognize NTFS, so that's probably why it doesn't see the XP-drive.

As far as a bootsector virus goes, if the drive is somewhere in the system, and being powered, a virus will nestle itself in those bootsectors. so a real tough virus will probably get both drives, but I'm talking super nasty here... most other "smaller" viruses won't affect the other OS. A long as it doesn't pick it up during boot or startup.

The power interupt idea will not work.As long as the ribbon is plugged in the bios will have a problem and report a drive is missing,I tried doing it.The best way to do what I want is to have a switch that actually controls which plug on a ribbon is active but I could not locate a switch that does this.Not sure if this is just because they are wd drives or not but when one drive is set to slave but you are booting from it 3d games play like they are in slow motion.I have tested this and if you unplug the other drive so the one you are booting from is master then games play fine.

Back