• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600xt + silencer2= big problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illogical06

well i just installed the arctic cooling ati silencer 2 and the installation seemed easy enuff. Went to boot and sumthin odd happened. When the OS was loading, the screen turned black but i could still see and use my cursor. I heard the lil windows xp boot sound and still it was black, after like 15 seconds the screen just popped up...by this time all my startup programs were done loading. I thought ok...i can fix that, it cant be too bad. But first i had to check out my temps with atitool. My core dropped over 10C full load @ 43C and my mem was @ 39C full load. I know the core temps are good but im not exactly sure about the mem. I know it aint bad. I also used arctic silver 5 as my paste. But now, the black screen problem has taken over, i CANNOT see anything in windows even tho the OS loads just fine. I'm using my 8500le right now if your wonderin.
So...everything was just fine before installation of the cooler, but now thats different. My thoughts are possibly i applied too much pressure when tightening down the screws so i loosened them;didnt help. I checked my pasting job to see how well it turned out, it looks fine to me. The core may be questionable i guess(possibley too ac5). I can reason two possible problems, ac5 maybe got on the pcb somewhere and is causin a short (i have no clue if this is possible) or the insertion area of the vid card is slightly bent causing some sort of malfunction. (i looked and it is bent slightly) I tried to loosen up the bolts to relieve the bending but it didnt seem to help, im not sure if it was already bent or not but this problem is very very bad. I may have just thrashed my vid card and im not even sure what i did wrong.
ps: i also upped the voltage just in case the fan had sumthin to do with it :mad:

Well, i believe i've solved my problem lol. I decided to loosen up the screws to the point they were almost off basically. I did what it took to make sure the card wasnt bent and BAM!! It booted up just fine :)

hows the temps now that you have loosened the bolts, did it change much?

Back