• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus makes a Dothan -->S478 adapter :O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
but does this mean it'll support 8x AGP, dual channel memory, and the other goodies??

edit: no mounting problems here :p - waterblock uses spring mounting rather than clip :thup: (unfortunately i'm back on air for the time being - waiting for my new case to come (disassembled loop earlier this week))

Sneaky said:
but does this mean it'll support 8x AGP, dual channel memory, and the other goodies??

edit: no mounting problems here :p - waterblock uses spring mounting rather than clip :thup: (unfortunately i'm back on air for the time being - waiting for my new case to come (disassembled loop earlier this week))

Not that 8x is needed over 4x.

Not sure on the DC RAM though.

Heck a 2.5ghz PM can hang with an FX-55. Thats with single channel ram, on a basic 855 MB.

i dont' see a good way to mount a gigantic heatsink :) lol, if people are going Dothan then we are gonna need some monster sink cuzz that beast is gonna get OC like it's never seen before. It would be cool if it can get dual channel though, almost all new system now have dual channel, just a good way to get extra bandwith.

OMG I WANT ONE

This would be SUCH good news for Intel (and for us if it allows for overclocking). I bet Asus will supply a special H/S bracket so you can fit normal S478 cooler on it.

Would-be so sweet...only need to get a different (proven) mobo and chip, and Dothan is mine :clap:

Last edited:
People stop whining about mounting heatsinks! The few rare Socket 479-boards we've seen so far came with a NORTHBRIDGE heatsink to cool a OCed Pentium-M! There's no 'cooling' involved compared to a P4. My 1.6Ghz Pentium-M lappy comes with a very tiny heatsink/fan/vent hole for the CPU and at 24/7 full-load folding it only uses the fan at it's lowest speed, a desktop northbridge heatsink will be like a sp94 on a P4 willamette...

Lancelot said:
People stop whining about mounting heatsinks! The few rare Socket 479-boards we've seen so far came with a NORTHBRIDGE heatsink to cool a OCed Pentium-M! There's no 'cooling' involved compared to a P4. My 1.6Ghz Pentium-M lappy comes with a very tiny heatsink/fan/vent hole for the CPU and at 24/7 full-load folding it only uses the fan at it's lowest speed, a desktop northbridge heatsink will be like a sp94 on a P4 willamette...

But mounting a 2 pound heatsink/fan is so cool! It wouldn't stop me from bolting a CM Hyper 48 or XP90/120 on it, or water cooling it. :D

Voodoo Rufus said:
But mounting a 2 pound heatsink/fan is so cool! It wouldn't stop me from bolting a CM Hyper 48 or XP90/120 on it, or water cooling it. :D

Exactly...my zalman 6500B-CU WILL FIT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER :D

Back