• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Case, Super Cheap PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duner

I just picked up a case on sale for my in-law for mother's day. I'm giving up my spare system and just needed a case. It's fairly nice with dual neon tubes, and dual LED 80mm fans. Too flashy for my liking (I'm using a beige $20 generic job) but I know that's what she likes. Most importantly it was on sale. Anyways, It came with a 450W power supply, some generic one made by Okia. I know these things are week, but I wasn't exactly putting in a power system.

The specs are:
Duron 1.8Ghz
512MB of generic pc3200
ECS KM400 mobo
integrated video/audio
2 80mm fans
One Hdd
One Cdrom
(this was a seti farm)

I looped memtest 5 times and then started to load windows. Suddenly the system shuts off and won't power on anymore. I unplug everything except the mobo and it still won't power on. I remove the power supply and short the green to black wire and still nothing. This thing is dead. As a side note, this PSU was incredibly light when I took it out. Just feeling it, it was half the weight of my 300W sparkle. I ended up putting in one of my spare PSUs and everything is fine now.

I just couldn't believe that even a generic 450W PSU would blow under such light use. I didn't get more than 2 hours out of it, and as you can see in the spec this isn't a power hungry system. I'm glad it didn't take out any other components when it went out.

Yeah, I already put my 300W sparkle in there. Pretty much the same power supply. It powered my Barton @ 2.3Ghz with a Radeon 9500np flawlessly.

Back