• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just found a 2.4c 533 need help assembling the HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionzbelt1

I was looking out the back of my flat this morning and saw a old pc sitting out there so i went and grabbed it only to discover that when i open the side that it was a Intel 875 board with 2 x SATA and i removed the HSF only to find a 2.4 533fsb Socket 478 chip underneath.

the problem i have is that the fan has come of the Heatsink and the only way i can reassemble it is if i use screws to remount the fan but the screw heads touch the Heatsink itself.

Will this cause any problems

No problems with the screws touching the heatsink, as long as they get enough of a byte (punny, aren't I) to hold the fan. Certainly don't want it coming loose and flopping around.

One last thing, a socket 478 P4 533 FSB chip is either an older 2.4B with 512MB cache, or a newer Prescott 2.4a with 1MB (I believe?) of cache, but the 2.4c is the 800 FSB/512MB of cache version of the P4 with HT.

Reefa_Madness said:
No problems with the screws touching the heatsink, as long as they get enough of a byte (punny, aren't I) to hold the fan. Certainly don't want it coming loose and flopping around.

One last thing, a socket 478 P4 533 FSB chip is either an older 2.4B with 512MB cache, or a newer Prescott 2.4a with 1MB (I believe?) of cache, but the 2.4c is the 800 FSB/512MB of cache version of the P4 with HT.

The chip number on back are : 2.4/512/533
SL6RZ MALAY
Q321A127

that's a 2.4b then.

i think i know what you mean about the screws (bolts i think u meant). you are using them to hold down the retention bracket? as long as they are flush with the bracket, and don't cause a gap between the HS and the cpu, then you should be fine. also, make sure not to scratch the pcb of the mobo, and you'll be fine.

you might get anywhere from 2.8 up to 3.5 depending on how old of a 2.4b it is.

LOL..... thats awesome! I need to move to England where they throw away 2.4b rigs :)
Good find my brotha', throw that chip on the Max 3 and see what it'll do.

Back