• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 2: Technicial Issues and Support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ATI Raden X800 PCI Express - BF2 Issues

Ok.. system specs out of the way first:
P4 3.4gHz with HT tech., vid card is in title, 1gig RAM

here's issue

while playing BF2 (started with patch 1.21a and worsened with 1.22) sometimes my screen will go black and jump like you pressed "alt+tab"... it will do this for a few seconds then sometimes go back into the game and sometimes not... it will just freeze or i can hear things going on in the background like its playing (ie. shooting, crashing, dying, etc) but the screen stays black... Also I've experienced white boxes all over the screen like a checkers board...

I'm running the Omega drivers for Cat 6.3 (released a few days ago) and was running the regular ATI drivers prior.. i even tried the ATI 6.3 before switching to Omega 6.3. Omega actually seemed to help a little... I have my shaders set to low (they were on high) this seemed to improve some but I just had a problem with the boxes a few minutes ago and had to reboot... I have also cleared the cache to make the game reoptimize my shaders... still no bueno...

any ideas or suggestions? do i have a bunk card? it plays all other games fine (COD2, WoW, Guild Wars, Sims 2, etc).

a_rabid_std said:
Ok.. system specs out of the way first:
P4 3.4gHz with HT tech., vid card is in title, 1gig RAM

here's issue

while playing BF2 (started with patch 1.21a and worsened with 1.22) sometimes my screen will go black and jump like you pressed "alt+tab"... it will do this for a few seconds then sometimes go back into the game and sometimes not... it will just freeze or i can hear things going on in the background like its playing (ie. shooting, crashing, dying, etc) but the screen stays black... Also I've experienced white boxes all over the screen like a checkers board...

I'm running the Omega drivers for Cat 6.3 (released a few days ago) and was running the regular ATI drivers prior.. i even tried the ATI 6.3 before switching to Omega 6.3. Omega actually seemed to help a little... I have my shaders set to low (they were on high) this seemed to improve some but I just had a problem with the boxes a few minutes ago and had to reboot... I have also cleared the cache to make the game reoptimize my shaders... still no bueno...

any ideas or suggestions? do i have a bunk card? it plays all other games fine (COD2, WoW, Guild Wars, Sims 2, etc).

I would try uninstalling the game, installing and then applying the latest patch.

Well I have a problem now if you guys can help

I recently purchased the SF expansion and downloading it from EA and installed it. Now anytime I try to join a server, BF2 or SF, it tells me that I need to revert to the original BF2 because I have modified content.......which I don't.......

I uninstalled SF......then BF2 was again able to connect to servers.
Reinstalled SF......neither worked again....

Any ideas? This is really starting to annoy me

You installed the latest patch before you installed SF and or Euro Force. I had the same issue. You must reinstall the patch every time you install a new game file. Hope that helps. But, now you will probably have to reinstall the whole game and start all over.

Richard

yea I figured that out a few minutes after I posted heh.
Ended up uninstalling both and starting over, worked fine after that

this game is a ***** to configure!
but I love bf2, just a shame about all the problems & stuff.

At the moment I'm getting kicked back to desktop randomly. (its not really distrupting my gameplay, although they're have been some owning moments I was about to experience and suddenly Flash*BANG, back to desktop!

Another annoyance is all of a sudden It would freeze up, sound sometimes loops, but mostly muted... Then returns back to the main menu with msg "Your connection to the server has been lost".

I would probably say my particular problems are due to the following things:

1: My 1GB Kingston Cheapass Memory (causing the crash back to desktop)
2: My ISP (NTL) + Router(LINKSYS WRT54GSV4)

I Solved the "connection lost" problem by updating router firmware and forwarding the specific bf2 ports, I even got lots of new servers appearing on my list!!!

Still haven't solved the desktop problem though - I need to get some decent mem.

Darren said:
At the moment I'm getting kicked back to desktop randomly. (its not really distrupting my gameplay, although they're have been some owning moments I was about to experience and suddenly Flash*BANG, back to desktop!

The same thing happens to me, but mine only happens after a map has loaded, and as soon as I hit the 'Join' botton. It is not an every time i play thing, but enough to be annoying. This never happened before the last patch.

i am getting ctd also w/ vanilla... but i think the game lots of times doesn't like oc'ed machines.

Darren, If you have patched to 1.3, then you will need to wait for a fix. I have NEVER had a single problem with BF2 until this crappy patch with its useless vehicle dropping. Wait it out, maybe EA will pull its head out of its butt and fix the crash and connection problems soon.

Harry

harryinny3 said:
Darren, If you have patched to 1.3, then you will need to wait for a fix. I have NEVER had a single problem with BF2 until this crappy patch with its useless vehicle dropping. Wait it out, maybe EA will pull its head out of its butt and fix the crash and connection problems soon.

Harry

Ah cool, thanks for that mate. Yeah lets just hope some Jack Bauer kickass style coders fix this ****. lol.

I had a good game this morning... 51 mins without any problems, but then like ha_ha_ha mentioned as soon as the next map loads, this is where the problems begin... Although sometimes I have dc'ed after 2mins!

;)

Back