• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800NP to 9800PRO to 9800XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vyncennt

Registered
I have a ATI 9800 128 NP that I bios flashed a while back to a PRO

Newest version of ATI Tray Tools, and newest version of Omega drivers.

She has a R350 core (from what I am able to gather) and Samsung memory chips.

I installed Thermaltake heatsinks to all 8 of the memory chips, and added a Thermaltake PCI fan card in the slot below it (twin fans at max speed)

The problem/question I have is this:

Currently, with the above setup, ATI Tray Tools has only allowed a max OC of 390-400 core and 350-360 mem. This seems rather poor to me (of course I could be wrong...heh)

I was wondering if it would help me and/or be advisable to reflash the BIOS to the XT? Perhaps the XT bios changes the voltage?...allowing better speeds?

Or perhaps I'm an idiot and should leave well enough alone? LOL

The NP to PRO flash worked without a hitch and I CAN get slightly higher speed that the ones I mentioned above, but those were the best clocks I could achieve with a artifact level of 0.

Thanks guys,

Cris

It's luck of the draw. One of my friends has a 9800 Pro that maxes at 400...you got a non-pro that does the same. The XT BIOS won't do much more than give you artifacts in PS2.1 games. The Gigacube 9800 Pro BIOS should help your memory clocks out, though.

The Gigacube BIOS is ok to use with an ATI card?

And where might I find that btw?

Thanks for getting back to me so fast =))

Back