• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding which card is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notstrider

First off, i don't know much about video cards. The cards that i have at my disposal were given to me for free. The system that i'm currently using is a p4 3.06ghz 512mb ram(i can provide more info if requested). My question is, right now I have an Nvidia Vanta/Vanta LT AGP 8mb card in, and recently I was given an ATI Radeon 7000 64mb PCI card. I'm just curious should I stick with the nvidia card for now, or switch it to the ATI? I had the ATI card in the other day, and came upon some video problems. ie. the screen would lock up and sometimes the screen would be garbled. thanks.

both of your cards are so out dated right now...

ATI and nVidia are a lot better than they were, so you won't make a wrong choice regardless. :)

haha, yeah. they were free, so it doesn't bother me. i'll probably just get a newer card this weekend. hehe. thanks. should i even take a chance to try an overclock one of them, or should i not even bother?

Last edited:
nah, don't bother to mess with them :) They're good for servers and stuff though :)

so what card are you getting? ATI's are getting cheaper though :)

i'm not even sure to be honest. what would be good? i don't want to spend a lot of money on one, preferrably between $40-70. if possible.

notstrider said:
i'm not even sure to be honest. what would be good? i don't want to spend a lot of money on one, preferrably between $40-70. if possible.

Seriously, with that budget, it's kinda hard. save a lil more and be patient to ~$110 and get the nVidia 6600GT or leadtek 6800LE and unlock it.....

notstrider said:

You can probably find a ATI radeon 9200 in that price range. 9200 was my first aftermarket card and I loved it.

Try and find a Radeon 8500, or 9100. The Ti series can't play Battlefield 2. :p

I think you might be able to get a new 9600np, or maybe a refurbished Pro or XT for that price.

I would try ebay and pick up a cheap 9600pro or xt. Also please use a driver cleaner if your switching from ati > nvidia or vis versa.

Use this to clean out any old video drivers you have laying around (btw use this in safemode!)

http://www.drivercleaner.net/dc.htm

Back