• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xbox linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splat

ASCII Moderator
i put linux on an xbox last night. I've had this extra xbox sitting around that had a chip in it with a bad flash and a botched softmod, so it had been useless until sunday night. I finally decided to take the modchipout of my other xbox and format the hd back to stock. I then decided to try my hand at a softmod, but i failed miserably for 3 nights until some one pointed me in the direction of a autoinstall softmod disk. I then flashed the TSOP with cromwell 2.40 and planned on putting Gentoo on it. But, aparently there are issues with cromwell 2.40 and the Gentoo live cd, so I moved on to Xebian, which is the smarter move anyway for the binary packages instead of trying to compile source on a p3 733mhz proc.

So now i'm at the point where i have no idea what to do with it. I already have a desktop computer and a server, and my other xbox has xbmc on it. I haven't modded any cables to get a keyboard and mouse hooked up yet, so I'm planning on doing everything on the xbox over ssh. The only use I can come up with is running Boinc on it for the "i have my xbox running boinc" wow factor...not that it's really going to produce any huge numbers.

anyone have any other ideas?

if you mean xbox games, then no, I can't right now because 1) the tsop is flashed with cromwell, 2) the harddrive is totally devoted to linux, there is no xbox stuff on it. and if you mean linux games, then no, I don't think i even want to try that out.

Wow, cool man! I heard once that someone actually installed DSL on a coffee machine...this is up there in that category in my mind.
Try getting online? How about dual booting Linux/Xbox ?

NetBSD runs on toasters...

and it is online...it's a fully functional x86 pc, with X running Fluxbox.

and you can't really "dual boot", but you can execute a linux .xbe and run linux ontop of the xbox "OS"...but that is slower than completely removing all the xbox stuff and flashing the TSOP to run linux exclusively.

Neat! I'd liket o do this someday but I am loving XBMC way too much. YOu could have it run as a decent web server, or FTP. Possibly even a domain controller, if you want to run Samba.

Mythbox. But for the backend the CPU is too slow and for the frontend you already have xmbc as you said.

yeah...this would probably be much more useful if i didn't already have my amd64 4000+ as my fileserver/webserver and my linksys wrt45g as my dhcp/router/switch.

I guess this is really just a "look what i can do" project

oh an cheator, if you have an upgraded hard drive, you can run linux without removing all the xbox stuff. you can even launch it from right in xbmc.

I can't really think of anything interesting you could do with the software. If I had a spare xbox lying around, I'd probably take the guts out and stick another console in. Maybe a PS2? That would be pretty badass. Alternatively, you could put in an N64 and a snes!

splat said:
oh an cheator, if you have an upgraded hard drive, you can run linux without removing all the xbox stuff. you can even launch it from right in xbmc.

I need to set it up to boot into XBMC cause it boots into Evolution (I don't know how to change it :D), but how does one put on linux as well? Is there a guide?

i was going to recomend mythbox but someone else allready said it. however i mean if you have a backend and 2 tvs it will allow you to stream data to multiple locations. and besides myth makes a realy cool retro gaming system load it up with emulators and roms.

I can help you over PM's but public discussion on this is illegal in the forums I believe as modding the XBOX to run linux or any other dashboard is against the rule of microshaft. Tread carefully with this thread as I believe it is against forum rules.

take to work

Take it to work and use it as your desktop. I'm sure you can mod the I/O sockets so that you can use a keyboard and mouse with it. Just think what you're co-workers will think when they see an xBox on your desk.

Back