10 Year Badge

RIAA sues woman, woman wins nearly 70k USD

Lol.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07...ys_legal_fees/

Oklahoma woman takes sue happy RIAA to the bank
    $68,685.23 to cover three year case
    By Austin Modine in Mountain View
    Published Tuesday 17th July 2007 20:30 GMT

In what appears to be the first known case of its kind, the RIAA has been ordered to pay a defendant nearly $70,000 in attorney fees and costs after unsuccessfully suing for copyright infringement.

According to court documents, the Recording Industry Association of America first contacted Oklahoma resident Deborah Foster by phone in 2004. An RIAA settlement representative accused her of downloading copyrighted material off the file-sharing program, Kazaa, using the screen name "fllygirl11," and demanded a payment of $5,000. Foster refused, claiming she did not download any songs from the internet. The settlement representative responded by offering to go down as far as $3,750, but Foster again refused to pay.

(RIAA watchdog Recording Industry vs. The People have been following the paperwork.)

In response, the RIAA filed suit against Deborah Foster in November 2004. Her adult daughter Amanda was added to the complaint in July 2005 when it was indicated that she had access to the internet account. Because Amanda failed to defend herself against the complaint, the RIAA won the case against her by default.

The ruling against Deborah was then amended to allege she "contributorily and/or vicariously" infringed on copyrighted recordings.

The RIAA continued its lawsuit against Deborah Foster, claiming she was liable as the owner of the internet account responsible for the copyright infringement. Foster refused to settle with the RIAA outside of court, and as the case dragged on, her litigation investment became considerable.

On July 13, 2006 the Oklahoma court ordered the RIAA's claims against Foster be dismissed with prejudice and ruled she was eligible to be awarded attorneys fees. The court was skeptical that "an internet-illiterate parent, who does not know Kazaa from a kazoo" could be liable for copyright infringement committed by someone else using her internet account.

Foster first requested $105,680.75 in attorney fees, but the RIAA objected to this, claiming the figure was unreasonable and that she was not entitled to fees for work that could have been avoided "had she assisted the RIAA or acceded to settlement." The court eventually whittled the award down to $68,685.23 in a 14-page document which itemized her expenses.

A RIAA representative would not talk to us about the case, and said she did not know if it was the first time attorneys' fees were rewarded to a defendant in similar RIAA copyright lawsuits.

The organization has gained notoriety for its fight against copyright infringement through blind pursuit of improbable offenders and gross intimidation. Last month, an unemployed single mom renewed a legal challenge against the RIAA, accusing the organization of contacting her 10-year-old daughter at school by impersonating the girl's grandmother on the phone. The organization claims it has been successful in a recent campaign of blanketing colleges with threatening legal letters, and offering to absolve students guilty or otherwise if they pay a settlement at an RIAA website (major credit cards accepted.)

"My thoughts are that this award, together with some interesting interim decisions against the RIAA in other cases, will be incentive for more defendants to vigorously fight the RIAA, and of course where successful, demand attorneys' fees," said Leonard Rubin, an attorney at Chicago-based Reed Smith Sachnoff & Weaver.

Rubin does not, however, believe the case will serve as a deterrent to the RIAA in its lawsuit campaign. "The RIAA is in a headlong rush to discourage downloaders, many of them college students, from unlawfully copying copyrighted music, and the RIAA apparently doesn't care how much it costs them — they do not file these cases for the sake of collecting either settlement money or monetary

The RIAA won't learn until they put themselves out of business

accusing the organization of contacting her 10-year-old daughter at school by impersonating the girl's grandmother on the phone
    That is just discusting

Randy V - Audio-Dude/Musician/PC Guru/Crazy Guy

PC#1 (Main Rig) : Lian Li PC-V1010 / P8Z68-V-GEN3 / 3750K @ 4.5GHz + Ven-X / 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 / HD5770 "XXX" 1GB / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / (6x) 2TB 5K3000 on Areca ARC1222 in RAID-6 / Seasonic X660 PSU / 2407WFP-HC / RME "Multiface" 38 Ch. Audio I/O / Dynaudio AIR-15 + AIR-BASE-2 Studio Monitors
    PC#2 (Realtime DAW) : Lian-Li PC-K65B / Sabertooth X79 / i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz + TRUE / 8GB RipJaws DDR3-2133 / HD6570 / 120GB Intel 520 / 4x 1TB on Areca ARC-1210 in RAID-5 / RME "HDSPe MADI" 128 Channel Audio I/O / 2x SSL AlphaLink MADI AX / 48 Mic Inputs + Fully-discrete Mic Preamps + 4260Watt PA System with 5x 18" JBL Subs :-)
    NAS#1: NSC-800 ITX Case / Asus P8H61-ITX / i3-2120 / (8x) 1TB 7200.12's in RAID-6 on Areca ARC-1220 Card
    NAS#2: 12TB ReadyNAS Ultra-4+ / (4x) 3TB 5K3000's
    And 7 other i7/i5/C2D/C2Q PC's

That kind of makes me nervous...

Nervous enough to stop downloading? Nope.

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    That is just pathetic, I really hope they run out of money....
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

10 Year Badge
    That kind of makes me nervous...
    It shouldn't make you nervous, it was the RIAA that ended up paying the woman 70k.

Quote Originally Posted by MRD
    It shouldn't make you nervous, it was the RIAA that ended up paying the woman 70k.
    I think he means the part about the RIAA being sue-crazy.
    Main: MOBO: MSI P67A-G45, CPU: i7 2600k w/ VenX (4.4ghz @ 1.33v), RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series DDR3 1600, GFX: Galaxy GTX670 GC, PSU: OCZ 1250w ZX, CASE: Corsair 500R, HDD: 120gb Samsung 840, WD 4TB Black
    Quick, Cheap, and Dirty NAS: Sempron 140, Hyper 212+ with 800RPM Scythe Slipstreams, 4gb ram, 5x2tb Hitachis in RAID5, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Antec 300, Biostar Tpower motherboard, APC BR700G UPS, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router (Upgrade in the works)
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X220 HTPC: Zotac ZBOX AD04-U w/ 6GB Samsung 1333mhz, 64GB Adata Premier Pro SP900
    Protobox-1: Raspberry Pi Mod. B Rev. 2, 2.5" LCD, 12v 1A PSU, Aluminum RatShack project box, GPIO breakout board

Project 1UP || Interested in the performance of the new AMD AM1 socket? Ask me, I'll test it!
    Bored of games? Nothing good on internet radio or youtube? Dont waste your GHz, find them before they find us. SETI

ASCII Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    yeah, i've been following all this on slashdot. she was asking for $140,000. This is teh same case where the judge made the RIAA turn over documents showing what they paid their lawyers, but the decision doesn't say what that amount was.

Theres another case where they settled for $300...people are speculating that the court sort of forced it, because they didn't want the case wasting their time, so the defendent made an offer for $300 to make the case go away (not to imply guilt) and the RIAA accepted.

Theres some other decisions that happened lately too. check out slashdot if you are interested. and this guy is the one who submits all the stories to slashdot: http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/
    ______________________________/\/\__________________/\/\_____
    _______/\/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\______/\/\/\/\/\__
    ____/\/\/\/\____/\/\__/\/\__/\/\________/\/\______/\/\_______
    _________/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\/\______/\/\________
    __/\/\/\/\____/\/\________/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\/\____/\/\/\_______
    _____________/\/\___________
    once you clock you can't go stock
    [RHCSA, RHCE] || articles || folding stats || overclockers last.fm group

10 Year Badge
    The courts are probably getting sick of the RIAA wasting their time with this crap. I mean, it's one thing if you've got a guy hosting 10,000 mp3's on a server for free download. It's quite another if you've got some 12 year old girl who downloads 1 mp3 file. I mean really, let it go. Don't waste the court's time or the taxpayers' money on this trivial crap.

$70,000 is lunch money to RIAA. It's a start...

I've always hated the RIAA. They're no good, greedy ********. It won't be long before they start suing unborn babies.

I'm just glad the only music I download is Japanese. The RIAA has no precedence over that, though I'm sure if they wanted to they could sue me anyway.
    "Recent studies show that guys who fold for team32 get more girls." - sno.lcn

Intel i7-4770 Haswell @ 3.4 Ghz
    ASUS Z87-A
    8GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 @ 8-8-8-21
    60GB Boot SSD + 3x1TB WD 7200RPM in RAID 5
    ASUS Geforce GTX660 2GB

Folding User Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Soichiro
    I'm just glad the only music I download is Japanese. The RIAA has no precedence over that, though I'm sure if they wanted to they could sue me anyway.
    yay for Japanese music(and japanese girls), banzai! banzai!

Senior Django-loving Member Captain Newbie's Avatar
    Right seat with a bored "don't kill me" expression
    Quote Originally Posted by Randyman...
    The RIAA won't learn until they put themselves out of business

That is just discusting

Also illegal over here in the People's Republic of California, but probably not in Texas.

Pretexting of any sort—not just for financial gain as under GLBA—should be illegal.
    B.S. Computer Science, B.A. Political Science | Commercial Pilot Airplane Single and Multiengine Land, Instrument Airplane
    "And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untresspassed sanctity of space
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Strong * Focused * Safe
    Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)