• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a router serve two networks at once?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
Or can it merge an outside network into another one?

I have an elderly neighbor lady next door whom I'd like to be able to give access to my NAS so she can watch all my video content. We both have the same router, the ASUS RT-N66U. I put this set of high-gain antennae on them both. I set up SPMC on her tablet at my house and it accesses my WiFi and NAS fine, but the range next door is just a hair too far to be able to access from her house.

I was wondering... I am pretty sure I can set up her router to work as an access point from my router and essentially extend my network, right? I haven't looked into it, but I don't think that would be a problem. At the moment, she doesn't have internet service, after she fired her cable provider after several months of $300-400 bills for bandwidth overage fees. She had 500GB/month limits, and I never could figure out how she went over that kind of bandwidth even watching Netflix all the time - and the cable company wasn't the least bit interested in helping her figure out if there was some kind of problem with the system, or someone leeching her bandwidth or whatever.

Anyways...

Was wondering if I could set up her router to be both an access point for my home WiFi while at the same time serving her own internet (if she decides to get service again with someone else), or if it is a choose-one kind of situation. Either distribute your own incoming WAN/LAN via WiFi OR extend my WiFi as an access point. Anyone know how to do something like this? Ideally, I'd like to have her retain her own WiFi for her own internet service, and just be able to somehow access my NAS on her own in-house WiFi or merge my incoming WiFi with her own in-home network for her use. I don't want to use FTP, because that would mean bandwidth usage both up (for me) and down (for her) - really wanna be able to do it via WiFi.

It's kinda complicated, I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well enough, but maybe you guys can get the picture.

I haven't looked on ASUS' forums yet or through the manual or whatever. Plan on doing that when I get some time, but just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone here has done this.

Thanks!

I'm not a network expert, but I would say with general consumer-level routers you are likely in a one or the other situation. Right now I would set up her router as an access points/extender to get your network connection to share. If she decides to go back to her own setup, I would recommend setting up a PLEX server on your side which you can help set her up with an account so she can stream your media files (similar to a own-hosted netflix).

DD-WRT might be able to do it. Or given how cheap routers are nowadays, just get another one and program it to work as a client.

Back