• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smartphone WiFi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimm003

I am thinking about getting my 1st smartphone because I could use a PDA to help me stay organized at school but I don't want to carry a phone and PDA. I have Verizon Wireless and was looking at the XV6700, http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...&selectedPhoneId=2200&changingCompletedOrder=.
It is WiFi enabled but I had some questions about it since I've never had WiFi on a portable device like this. So this will allow me to connect to the internet if I am at a WiFi hot spot even if I don't have a data plan from verizon? I plan to mostly take advantage of the WiFi offered on my school's campus, and do not plan on changing my calls-only plan to a calls/data plan. So is this phone for me?

That phone will do exactly what you are looking to do. You won't necessarily have to change to a data plan as long as you have access to WiFi. It works the same as using a laptop at a hot spot.

Great, that's what I figured but I thought I should ask before I go blowing my money on a phone

grimm003 said:
Great, that's what I figured but I thought I should ask before I go blowing my money on a phone
I would either call in or go in and make sure that you don't need a data plan.

I have the Palm Treo 700p and I am REQUIRED to have one...and it sucks. 45 a month :(

I have Verizon wireless and got a PDA phone as well. I actually got a Samsung i730 off of ebay for quite cheap, and personally I prefer the I730 to the XV6700, although they are both awesome PDA phones.

I was able to switch my basic verizon plan over without any problems at all, no extra costs, fees or anything.

There is one big problem though, if your wifi network is low or non-existant and you try to do something that uses the internet, it will dial in to Verizon's EV connection to get you internet and it will charge something outrageous, like 5 bucks a megabyte, or 15 a meg, something like that. If you dont plan to do that definitely make sure they lock it out! Unfortunately for VZW they end up having to lock out text messaging as well, but I can live with that, as long as my phone doesn't connect and run charges up my @sshole.

Here is a thread with a bunch of pics of my i730:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515465

thideras said:
I would either call in or go in and make sure that you don't need a data plan.

I have the Palm Treo 700p and I am REQUIRED to have one...and it sucks. 45 a month :(

Well with a Treo 700p, it does not have access to WiFi, so having a data plan is required for you to use any data service.

Don't buy it for a few weeks.

Verizon should be getting the XV6800 soon (Still a POS but better than the 6700) and the 755p (I have one and LOVE IT)

I have the HTC TyTN, not too sure if you can get it anywhere, but I am really happy with it, it is amazing and has all the bells and whistles. 3G with HSDPA/WiFi/infrared/bluetooth 2.0/ gsm and umts......

just doesn't have a built in gps module, but not a problem.

the slide open keyboard design is a must. I am NEVER going back to PDA's or phones without it!

i have the 6700 and i love it. LOTS of 3rd party support for it. If you do get this phone, you'll want to upgrade to the newest ROM which makes it smoking fast and fixes a ton of bugs in the stock one. but now that the 6800 is out, you might as well go for that since it has windows mobile 6, btw if you do get this phone, data plan is a must. very handy for those places with no hotspot or charges you for access to their hotspot. and you can tether to your lappy/comp too with the unlimited data plan!! EVDO data plans get decent speed ~DSL.

Well unfortunately I thought this thread was going to be dead. I bought the xv6700 a few days ago, waiting for it to arrive. That i730 looks nice, it is not on VW website so I didn't know about it. Did you buy it unlocked?

What websites do you recommend for 3rd party support, Warren G? I have not checked many but I found pocketpcsoft.net has a nice selection, nice freeware too. Where do I get the new rom? Is it the new AKU off UT starcoms website?

Also, thanks for the tip about turning off the data accessibility. I will have access to WiFi pretty much where ever I'll need, and I guess I can cope with no texting. Is there any way to get an AIM client on there?

sorry, i completely forgot about this thread. anyways your in luck!!! wm6 just came out for the 6700 today..i suggest you wait a month or so til they get all the bugs and tweaks done then upgrade...best forum for the 6700 is at ppcgeeks.com (HTC APACHE forum) for now, i suggest using the AKU 3.5 1.04 kitchen along with the 1.41 radio upgrade. im using kirvins clean and simple 3.5 v1.04 rom and its fassssttt..hehe

oh ya, if you want aim, the best is either octrotalk (free) or IM+ (not free) but IM+ is really nice, supports aim, icq, yahoo, msn, etc...

I just flashed Helmi's AKU 3.5 and it's nice. Much faster, it has some nice themes, and some good apps. I don't need some of the apps that are on it now, so I will probably be looking into reflashing since it everything went fine this time. Thanks for the link to that forum, it really helped

try one of those clean and simple roms (if you can still find it), its basically a stripped down version of helmi's 3.5, so theres only basic apps you'd need.

Back