• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/2" or 7/16" ID tube with 1/2" Barbs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darionis

Registered
As the title implies - I'm wondering if I should use 1/2" or 7/16" on 1/2" barbs.

I did a bit of reading - 7/16 fit snugly on the 1/2" barbs, but either way I'm going to be using worm-drive hose clamps.

Opinions?

As the title implies - I'm wondering if I should use 1/2" or 7/16" on 1/2" barbs.

I did a bit of reading - 7/16 fit snugly on the 1/2" barbs, but either way I'm going to be using worm-drive hose clamps.

Opinions?

I like 1/2 better. If your using worm claps then there is no issue. Hel even without them there is no issue.

Its a personal pref though.

It really depends on your taste... There is no performance hit really between the two and the 7/16 routes a little bit better... just remember to boil the tubes to get them to fit over the barbs...

don't even have to boil, just push and twist and it'll slip on fine or strech with needle nose pliers, that way the strech isn't perm and will seal better.

apprently there isn't any gains. except your personal perception. 1/2 ID hoses are easier to slip of and off so use of clamps are recommended.

I like plastic clamps but they're too thick and usually can't be used when using 1/2ID 3/4OD tubes.

There was a post somewhere that did a test of cooling with tube size, and there's a diminishing point of return. You get maybe 1C cooler with 1/2" over 7/16" but not much. Beyond 1/2 it's probably pointless and may even hurt since the pump can only push so much water and a really big tube = slower water movement.

Guys, guys, no need for stretching 7/16 to fit it on 1/2 inch barbs. All I did was apply some water on the inside of the tube and outside of the barb as lubricant and it slipped right on.

My rule of thumb is case decides the tubing!

Big case lots of room to work with...1/2 is just fine.

Small case with cramped space...use 3/8.

The hybrid is the 7/16.

I have used all and personally like the 1/2 simply for the looks.

I have used 1/2, its not all that great though. Its huge, bulky, and hard to bend. I stick with 7/16.
Btw lokitexas, whats the OD on your 1/2 inch?

Guys, guys, no need for stretching 7/16 to fit it on 1/2 inch barbs. All I did was apply some water on the inside of the tube and outside of the barb as lubricant and it slipped right on.

That's what I said :) I put 1/2id 3/4od over 5/8 barbs with a simple push and turn motion, hell I even get 7/16 over them with the same force.

Back