• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP install at proc oc'd speed or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayP

I tried installing WinXP four times. I checked to see if all my hardware works with it and it does. I also uninstalled software that doesn't work with XP. My computer is prepared to install XP... but should I install at the proc oc'd speed or default speed? I tried at oc'd speed and I was getting a lot of errors so install could not finish. Something about parameters not being correct; and "some-file".man being corrupt. I tried both upgrade and new install and both failed. What could be wrong here?

I usually try and set back to default speed before I do an Install. But in my case I need to pull the case out and dig around in it to change dip switches. So I usually don't change back to default anymore. I've been pretty fortunate I've had good installs even though I've been overclocked. In the past I have not been so lucky.

if your Windows install hangs with an O/C'ed setup, then your O/C is not a stable one to begin with...

Actually when it hangs in Windows setup that is a different story.

To be on the safe side take no oc, its best to do things once.

the reason I made that statement is because I had an unstable o/c @ 825 w/ my P!!! 550E...I couldn't run prime95 w/o errors, and I couldn't install an OS at that speed...but I could at 733...

Also, I can install @ 1.1 Ghz on my 900, but not at 1.2...even though I generate no errors in prime...weird...

anyway, if I install at 1.1, it makes it easier to o/c to 1.2...easier than it is when I install @ 900

takiwa said:
the reason I made that statement is because I had an unstable o/c @ 825 w/ my P!!! 550E...I couldn't run prime95 w/o errors, and I couldn't install an OS at that speed...but I could at 733...

Also, I can install @ 1.1 Ghz on my 900, but not at 1.2...even though I generate no errors in prime...weird...

anyway, if I install at 1.1, it makes it easier to o/c to 1.2...easier than it is when I install @ 900

Still got the 550E you can give a poor guy? *Looks At himself*

Heh.

Anyways thats what I mean the overclocking can cause system files to be corrupted through the process of it being copied or some sort.

Yodums

yes, the files DO get corrupted when installing with an o/ced system, but only if it is unstable. You have to remember that installing an OS is almost entirely cpu dependant operation, so you are stressing that chip...if it is already at the breaking point....

and I "gave" that 550E to my g/f...she "paid" for it, though...trust me...:D :D :D

Back