• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What sets off mandatory flash drive scan prompt Windows 7, can it be disabled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Once again, there is no way to permanently switch it off on Windows XP/Vista/7, you can only permanently switch it off on Windows 98/Me.

All Google search results are for a temporary switch off - it resets itself back eventually on every Windows XP/Vista/7 system.

I highly doubt this, but look for a firmware update for you flash drive or something like that.

Also, look in the root directory of that flash drive and see if you find a txt file called BOOTEX.

Again, I know that registry files was a temporary fix for hard drives, but it was worth a shot if it would help you out in this case. Something is just switching that thing to go off... maybe it might have a bad sector or something. You never know unless you use the right diagnostic tools that searches for that on flash drives.

The reason I started the thread is because I forgot about my old one :)

I nuke my USB flash drives so there's nothing on them before I put stuff on them, mostly music I listen to in my car. This problem does not happen in Windows XP and when it happens in Windows 7, people say that neither formatting nor scanning makes Windows 7 quit asking to scan it :shrug:

So you only use it to listen to music in your car? Your car have a USB input or is that usb a music player?

might be that unit... probably doing something that is causing windows to make scan that usb device....

Yes, dirty bit?
Plenty of people do get this annoyance. The reason I wanted to ask again is because, doesn't this work just like when a regular hard drive is prompted to be scanned because of a dirty bit?

Dirty bit = a bit in a memory cache or virtual memory page that has been modified by the CPU, but not yet written back to storage...

Attachments

• usbfat321.jpg
    usbfat321.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 324
  • usbfat322.jpg
    usbfat322.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 325
i dunno what to tell ya man... i know its a pain, as it happens to me ALL the time, as i use my usb stick in multiple comps a day.... i did like an hr of google searching last night and only found temporary fixes by running chkdsk.

the reason that it comes up is due to recycler files.... when you safely remove a flash drive it properly stops the drive and stores proper files to recycler. when you just yank it when its done being used this doesnt happen... and thus you get the issue... honestly i have never had a drive go bad on my by not using the safely remove thing... i really wish there was a way to turn it off.

like i have said before i just dont know why win 7 and vista ***** when XP never did unless you pulled the drive AS something was being written to it.

+1

This is true because I also have that bad habit of not doing the graceful "safely remove thing" so after a couple of "yanking" i will get this error.

It's really a good thing because W7 is telling you that there is a slight corruption in your flash drive. Just run scan and off you go .... don't yank it anymore.

I kindda used to this because there are times that I really had to yank it - too lazy for that additional right click - so far no data loss.

To those of us that encounter this frequently: I do believe that even if we "safely remove", it doesn't matter - Windows 7 will still nag screen us, but post if it doesn't.

This is a three year old post bumped for solution:

Start > Run > type:
msconfig
> OK > Services TAB > Click on Service to Alphabetize the display order > Scroll down and UNCHECK: Shell Hardware Detection [it disables Scan and Fix Flash Drive nag] > OK > Restart

If it occurs with FAT32, it's probably got some file system corruption.

FAT is more prone to corruption from interrupted writes. Because FAT can't journal.

This about flash drives only and there are situations under Windows 7/8 where you are prompted to do a scan of a USB Flash drive 90 times and 90 out of 90 times no errors are found.

After 90 times of going through scans and scans not finding any errors, perhaps turning off the prompt is a good option for your personal computer where you can scan your important flash drives regularly and save time on the disposable temporary copy flash drives by just getting on with business without dealing with the prompt nag.

This about flash drives only and there are situations under Windows 7/8 where you are prompted to do a scan of a USB Flash drive 90 times and 90 out of 90 times no errors are found.

I acknowledge. You can except this to occur when you don't use "safely remove hardware" on non-journalling file systems.

Even when using the "Safely Remove Hardware" option, I always get this when I plug in my cell phone and use it in USB drive mode.

Back