• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I concatenate all of my filenmes (of mm type)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

What is the correct place to get an answer to this question – Multimedia files mainly, eg. .avi, .jpg, .wmv...?

I use Vista HP and have MS Office.. I have Karen’s Directory Printer which allows a printing (or save to file) any folder(s) &/or files sorted by any level(s). But it ends up being a line by line crossword after in Word, or Excel. I wanbt the computer to give me the results. My intent is to pluck all files down onto the primary HDD (of that type), then copy all of that back off to a secondary backup HDD for each type of file on HDDs large enough for all those files. For some reason I am not familiar if File Manager (Explorer) can do this right. And so I cannot just do this twice!

The question is how can I use my computer to automatically compare the intended target HDD and another HDD of all of the filenames of a type and tell me what goes where . The filenames have always been copied and never renamed, so there is nio need to worry about slight variations is spelling, thank god. In total hundreds and yes, thousand(s), not even have too many filename(3) , even. What I really want would be a listing of all the file names that are not present on the target HDD OR both of the HDDs, either singuularly or on both HDDs I have selected for the comparsion. The target done is good enough. Any indication method is acceptable, if automatic. If there are 99 files on one HDD and 101 on the other, with 95 files exactly the same (names) then I need some kind of listing of 4+6 filenmaes in the “printout”. I want only one copy of everything on the target, then I want to/could make an identical backup HDD after that. Manually this is serious legwork. Any tips, please?

Last edited:
vicaversa file comparer can be set to just look at filenames

any other comparator like windiff or using terracopy to do a diff (called test in it), usually wants to do a full binary compare of the file, not just names.

if your positive that all the data in each of the Files is valid and non corrupted, vicaversa would very quickly show which was different on each side.
or it can also be set to just check the first ?? bytes of a file. it can be confusing at first, but it is all there.

Btw, the name itself is not essential as the scrutinee criterion, and a vast majority are not important files.
I'll be tickled pink.
Thx to poster.

Is this it? http://www.tgrmn.com/

And are there any free, as opposed to any pay now or later?

Hey, do you think its possible it could do all the copying, cutting,pasting, whatever for me: rather than just showing me about it?

Last edited:
Ohh , i thought you said the opposite.

if you want to make sure that there is no Duplication of the CONTENT of the file, even if the names are changed. then you need to use a Dupe Finder.

there are many dupe finding utilities.
my favorite one of those that provides a list, is LookDisk which is a overall search utility with many features. it will look for dupes based on file name, or based only on the content of the file itself.

I have files acrss many differnet HDDs, including my boot drive. What I want to do is seperate all the video from all the image from all the music. Then have 3 seperate target HDDs: video, image, music. The have duplcate HDDs of the 3 original HDDs. 6 HDDs in total, for exzample. Its the nitty gritty of the hundreds & thousands of sorting from all over 6 mixed to 3 sorted 6 sorted total

actually I have the target 3 mainly done, and some of the 4, 5 and 6, so now it really is nitty gritty (rom hell in some cases) to finish it off confidently.

Its just because I can't say where the origianl files are originating from in the first place to round them all up into the group without missing any, having one and only copy in the one place first (HDDs 1,2,3), then duplcating those onto (HDD 4,5,6)

Last edited:
seperate:
use the standard windows search tool with wildcards
*.avi <- find all Avi files
select them all with shift select, then hold the ctrl key and unselect the System ones , so you dont ruin your operating system ones , then drag and drop.

another way would be to do the same search , and select "what size is it" to filter out only the big ones, so you only get movies and stuff and not little system animation things.

another way to stay away from system items, when trying to get them out of the OS drive, run the search Only in the "Documents and Settings" area, where most of the user junk has gotten tossed.

One problem with the select all and drag them is the time, It takes several hours and drags, hangs and crashes.

Plus it doesn't tell you which are copied and which were not copied.

True, you could cut in the effort to start by creating specifically only a single HDD (of type) first (HDD 1, 2, 3). But with some filetypes (video) because of size> crash, crash, crash. All told its a total of about a Terabyte, thousand(s) of files.

Last edited:
are you going to Move them Once? or are you going to have to do this over and over again to backup?

Terracopy added to the System , not used as portable, is one possible way to get drag and drops to show what is going on in a list, and compare, and restart ones that didnt work. but for crashing?? system shouldnt crash, windows never crashes :) mabey your overclocked to far.

if you have to repeatedly do this over and over, then using a Backup Utility, or doing some Batch scritpting with Xcopy would be possible.

Well after it is done the first time it may be easier after because I could go by date, but there is the assitional wildcard that the date may be funky, for instance I don't know how to set my digital camera yet, so that the date is correct between battery changes for random images I may take.

well if your going to finnaly organise your system, and get everything cleaned up and reoganised, then Quit putting that Junk all over the place :) and pick a nice spot for it. or move your MYpic and My this and MY that, to where you want it to go, instead of where microsoft wants you to put it.
???

you can redirect where these MY folders go, by simple tweaks. MYself i prefer to ignore them, and direct my programs to where the item belongs to begin with, and organised folder with subfolders for date, or for type, or for event, or whatever. if i go look for the pictures i took of Mount adams, they had better be in the Mount Adams folder.

They're from years of this and that. The way I keep track of all files mine is simple. For each and every logical location that my files could be in I create folders and always always always they show up a the very begining; making locating and migrating as easy as pie. I preceed the folder name with "1_" ; so its: 1_foldernamea....1_foldernamez, then any/all other folders follow. I can also use serch, "1_..." They follow the rules of alphanumeric, but the 1_ keeps them in first place always.

Watch the demo of VV, its like christmas.

Btw, anyone know the difference(s) b/t Pro and Plus?

Last edited:
right now i only use visaversa for the filename only comparisons, just because there are many other freeware binary comparitors. unfortunatly most of them are made for the purpose of comparing small code sets like source code that has a few changes to it. so some will fail with massive quantities of data and files.
luckily windiff has coped with everything tossed at it, it is SIMPLE as can be, just needs a bit better file selecting ability.

Back