• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this board run a phenom 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

The model number is A780GM-A v1.1

I have read where people have ran 125w cpus on this board with no problems even though its only rated for 95w. Any downfalls?

Could anyone clear this up

Thanks

Shadow

Even if you could get it to work, it would probably shorten the life of the motherboard . . . or the CPU if something blows on the motherboard.

You've actually got a pretty wide array of Phenom II and Athlon II CPUs that you could run in that board.

However, a 125W CPU isn't a good idea for a board with only enough PWM circuitry to keep up with 95W. The factor you'd see impacted might be longevity - MOSFETs will run hotter while under heavier load from bigger CPUs, and one can't count on them to work properly over the long haul... or even the short term, if the circuitry isn't of high enough quality.

Oddly, though, by the looks of it, there are several 125W models listed as being supported on ECS's site for the board. According to them, at least, the 125W Athlon 6000+, 1090T, 965, 955, and 1055T are supposed to work... That being said, sticking with a 95W CPU wouldn't be a terrible idea for a board that was originally only supposed to support 95W CPUs.

Luckily, they've apparently got support for pretty much all 65W/95W Phenom II X2s, X3s, and X4s as well as Athlon II X2s, X3s, and X4s, and even the 95W Phenom II X6 models. Having used a Phenom X3 8650 (very similar to your current CPU), the first-gen triple-core Phenom is a capable CPU for all every-day tasks.

Given the other components in your signature, I'd be most eager to upgrade the RAM, both to a faster clock speed as well as simply getting more of it. I'd just checked another thread where you're considering an HD 5830 - that'll be a world of difference from your old 9500 GT for sure! But the 2GB of memory you're proposing can be a limiting factor if you're using Vista or 7, too - DDR2 isn't as cheap as it used to be, but a good 4GB (2x2GB) kit would serve you well. The CPU will sit as the bottleneck in the case of 4GB of RAM and a big ole' 5830 packed into your case (they're insanely large cards), but know that you're set for most CPUs in the AMD arsenal with your current board.

My kit-out for that motherboard (assuming your PSU is good, too) would be an $80 Athlon II X4 630 (about $80 on Amazon), about $130 into a good HD 5770 (lower power consumption and a good match for the X4), and another $60 for 4GB of DDR2-800. Others will have good suggestions, too, but this comes in at just over $300, and would likely keep you happy for quite some time.

Well i got the Hd5830 and my cpu bottle necks me so bad i want to cry.:mad:

Im just gonna save and go for a better board with ddr3 support and go with a 955be. My psu is a ocz mod stream pro 700w has been working pretty good for me.

Now if i can just get the money together.

Back