• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Re-Activate Windows When Re-Installing After A Hard-Drive Crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyGalaga

The first time you install Windows you have to enter the serial key and then it activates over the internet or by phone. Now suppose your hard drive crashes. So you buy a new hard drive and you try to re-install Windows with the Windows DVD. How can you re-activate it with the same serial key?

If Microsoft already knows you've installed it the first time, then will you not be able to re-acticate it the 2nd time? This is a free copy of Windows 7 64-Bit that I got from MSDNAA as a student and burnt onto a DVD.

The first time you install Windows you have to enter the serial key and then it activates over the internet or by phone. Now suppose your hard drive crashes. So you buy a new hard drive and you try to re-install Windows with the Windows DVD. How can you re-activate it with the same serial key?

If Microsoft already knows you've installed it the first time, then will you not be able to re-acticate it the 2nd time? This is a free copy of Windows 7 64-Bit that I got from MSDNAA as a student and burnt onto a DVD.

Same process as the first time. Most likley you will be redirected to the phone service and you will activate from there.

So if you talk to Microsoft over the phone, how will they know you're not lying and trying to install Windows twice on 2 different computers? If you simply tell them you had a hard drive failure, will they take your word for it and let you re-activate?

I had to reinstall twice. Once for a mobo swap, the other for a harddrive failure. I had to call MS to reactivate. Went thru the automated service. No problems here.

Here's a summary of reactivation behaviour:

Small hardware changes will not be flagged as a change of PC, so simply replacing the HD will allow an internet activation like before. What exactly constitutes "small changes" Microsoft doesn't like to exactly say, although they do have a FAQ on it, with guidelines.

However, if Windows thinks it's a different PC with the same key, then you see the following behaviour:

Retail boxed copy from a shop: call the Microsoft activation helpline (the activation wizzard will guide you to it). You will be asked a couple of questions, either by a person or by pressing option buttons on your phone. Answer them the right way and you will get an activation code. And yes, they do take your word for it.

TechNet download copy: you get 10 activations with the same key on different hardware. Then it's the telephone. Personally, I've not activated it on so many different PCs that I've needed the phone.

After 120 days, the activation status resets and you can internet activate on another PC without having to do the phone activation.

Note that application activations such as Office, will have variations on these rules. However, all TechNet products get 10 activations and some server products have a Multiple Activation Key.

Just a quick note on a TechNet sub: if you've never subbed before and you want to buy a copy of Windows, Office or other MS product, sub to TechNet instead, it's phenominal value for money!

For a moderate amount of money, you will get masses of software that you can use forever, every version of that software and 5 keys for each version and each key can be activated on 10 different computers. You also get speedier support from TechNet pro and a helpline you can call.

Note that it's not supposed to be used in a commercial production environment. So, running this forum on Windows Server say, would not be allowed.

I use Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacentre Edition at home. Just this on its own is worth around £6000, so it gives you an idea of how much value TechNet gives you.

So if you talk to Microsoft over the phone, how will they know you're not lying and trying to install Windows twice on 2 different computers? If you simply tell them you had a hard drive failure, will they take your word for it and let you re-activate?

They can tell because your computer sends a hardware hash when it trys to activate so they can tell if its different. They don't seem to be really strict about it because its so common for legitimate users to need to reinstall. You're sort of on your honor to follow the law/eula, but like others mentioned they will notice if you try to abuse it.

Also, with the MSDNAA copy I think you are allowed to move it from machine to machine so long as its only on one at a time and you still meet the active student requirements. Again, these requirements are somewhat on your honor to meet, but the active student requirement is somewhat tracked by your schools local MSDNAA administrator who is responsible for disabling MSDNAA accounts when students graduate/don't need them anymore/whatever your school policy is.

Great posts. Once the MSDNAA is deactivated, I can still use the software, but can't re-register it?

Back