• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i know if my MOBO can support sata 3.0gbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

volume098

Registered
I know checking the mobo manufacturer can solve the problem . But i didnt see something about SATA 3.0gb, i just see Sata 300mb/s does it mean it doesn`t support Sata 3.0gbs ? btw my mobo is NF7050HD-PRO . and my Hard disk is Samsung 3.0gb/s 7200 rpm 8mb cache .. please help me ..

THANKS IN ADVANCE

SATA Revision 2.0 (SATA 3 Gbit/s)

Second generation SATA interfaces running at 3.0 Gbit/s are shipping in high volume as of 2010[update], and prevalent in all[citation needed] SATA disk drives and the majority of PC and server chipsets. With a native transfer rate of 3.0 Gbit/s, and taking 8b/10b encoding into account, the maximum uncoded transfer rate is 2.4 Gbit/s (300 MB/s). The theoretical burst throughput of SATA 3.0 Gbit/s is roughly double that of PATA/133. In addition, SATA devices offer enhancements such as NCQ that improve performance in a multitasking environment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Don't confuse SATA 2 with a peak data band width of 300 gb/s with SATA 3 that has a peak bandwidth of 6 gb/s. Also, realize that that the difference in real world performance between SATA 2 and SATA 3 is practically nonexistant. In either case the peak bandwidth is much higher than the sustained data transfer rate and only happens in the very momentary exchange with the cache buffer. Once that is exhausted the data transfer speed will be the same for both, all other things being equal between the SATA 2 and the SATA 3 drives. IMO SATA3 is not something to get excited about. Other hard drive architectural parameters may be more important than whether or not the drive is running in SATA 2 or SATA 3 mode, such as cache buffer size and platter density. And of course, as always the single largest performance parameter will be rotational speed. Unless you move from say, 7200 RPM to 10,000 RPM you won't see much real world performance difference between SATA 1, 2 and 3.

I think the confusion is that age-old "make it look bigger/faster/better" by using BITS instead of BYTES. I get so sick of that. AdMen will look at a spec and see "3 Gb/s" and run with that even though that's NOT the actual data throughput even. But, hey! That 3 Gb/s - or better yet 3.0 Gb/s - looks bigger/faster/better so that's what they're going to use come hell or high water. If you mis-understand them then that's your tough luck. "Truth in advertising" - what a joke! :rolleyes:

Back