• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on a new card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mstersmith

I currently have a GX 295. She has served me well maxing games out at 1900x1200 for a few years now. I think with DX11 becoming some what prevalent I need an upgrade. The new series from both AMD and NVIDIA hold their own against the 295 at the budget level and then trounce it at the enthusiast card level. I no longer bench for a hobby so a mid grade card may be a compromise I am willing to make. I not upgrading my monitor any time soon either. I was thinking the 6950-6970 on the AMD side and the new 570 looks to be an even better option. How does the 560 stack up? Thanks for the help folks.

So between the 570 and 69xx series it is. Guess I need to figure if I go with the Red team this time around or stay Green. My budget is less than 400. I would like a card that is an upgrade from the 295 which it is looking like this generation will be.

Last edited:
If its between the 570 and the 69xx, my choice would be the 6950 2gig for less and flash it to the 6970. If you had the other 100 I would get the 580 or a pair of 560s.

you might wanna try your luck and wait until they drop the price of the 6950 2GB model which you can unlock to a 6970. since the GTX 560 came out, they may drop their prices a lot sooner than later. the HIS 6950 reference card is at $259.99 after MIR at the moment

Thanks for all of the advice! I have no idea how to flash a video card but I am sure there is a guide and its probably like everything else, use care and pay attention. I am in no hurry as most games really dont challenge the 295 but it is time to move on.

Thanks! I read another the other day with failure ratios from many leading manufactures.

Back